PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure warning and STOP sign , help needed!!

toledo999
06-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi , the car is a passat 1.8t 20 valve , its a year 2000 and has a full vw service history and has done 78000miles ,last week the turbo packed in and had to be replaced , all was well for a few days until today when the stop sign low oil pressure came on accompianied bby a rattle from the tappet area . i stopped and have had the car towed home , the garage who done the turbo think its the oil pump , they say the oil was changed and the engine flushed after the turbo was fitted , i dont know if the filter is a vag unit but its black with white writing , there is plenty of clean oil in the sump with no leaks , this is the latest in a long line of problems recently from water in the cabin , no performance and a boot i couldnt get into , can someone advise please ,and lastly is this to be expected of a car with such low mileage ?:aargh4: thanks Alan

martin1810
06-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Normally you would test the oil pressure but you can't do that if the oil pump has failed. So they will have to strip and look. Age and mileage don't mean a thing. Any engine can go wrong at any time. Did the turbo going damage the oil pump or was the oil pump dying and damaged the turbo. You will never know.