PDA

View Full Version : New Scirocco question for owners

maisbitt
06-02-2009, 01:29 PM
With the cold weather, and ice-a-plenty, I was wondering about the windows that automatically drop on the doors about 1/2 an inch when the door is opened.

Has anyone had trouble with getting the windows to drop when they're icy, or do VW just expect you to scrape all windows before you open the door in icy weather?

Hogwarty
06-02-2009, 06:05 PM
That’s an interesting (and very topical) question Maisbitt.
Either they’d anticipated it and there’s some feature to deal with frozen windows and doors, or some poor sod at VW is now sitting murmuring “Ah – scheiβe...”

scott007118
07-02-2009, 11:10 PM
The a4 convertible windows drop when you open the doors because obviously there's no frame to them and yes it can be a problem in the freezing weather.

Crasher
07-02-2009, 11:18 PM
TT's have problems with this system.

maisbitt
09-02-2009, 09:27 AM
I'd just wondered, seeing as I (and most other driver, im sure) keep the ice scraper in the car. With the Scirocco, I suppose i'd have to keep it in the house to scrape the car before opening it.

Not sure what the engineering solution would be (a partially heated side window that zaps the ice on the bottom inch of the window when you blip the key fob? Probably much too expensive and complicated), but it's not as if Germany never gets ice to have not given it any thought themselves.

If the window was to only drop when the car door was being closed, then you could open the door and get your scraper to scrape.

I think I could live with the ice issue if and when I get a Scirocco (probable next car in Sept 09 or Mar 10, if the TDI170 is put in).

ryancooke
10-02-2009, 08:42 PM
keep the de-icer and scraper in the boot, simple :p

Ravens
05-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Yes up here in the Edinburgh Alps my wife had to drive 5 miles to work with the window down as it would not go back up till the car had thawed later in the day. Not much fun at -3degrees.

wigit
12-03-2009, 12:28 AM
don't even bother with deicer use warm tap water (not boiling) and does the trick on the seals

golf_bhoy87
07-04-2010, 11:13 PM
my old boy just got a scirocco the other week...have to say every1 in the house thinks its a nonsense idea...i dont know what vw were thinking with this 1!

Crasher
08-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Put it this way, whether you don’t like it or not you cannot argue with the fact it sells and the owners love them and after all, that is what being in business is all about, shifting product…:D

maisbitt
08-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Crasher: Not sure whether golfbhoy means the Scirocco is a daft idea, or whether the frameless windows are a bad idea.

If he means the Scirocco is daft, then I would agree with you. Why someone would buy a Golf over a Scirocco unless they need the 5 doors or the 5th seat is beyond me - nicer looking car, better equipped, better residuals and pretty much the same price when comparing to GT/GTi trim Golfs.

Crasher
08-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Personally I am not convinced about the Scirocco’s looks and to drive there isn’t much between one and a Golf 6, myself I would have the Golf but the Skyrocket does sell.

wigit
08-04-2010, 05:37 PM
i'd go mk6 gti/GTD 3 door over a GT roc anyday if i was in the market now, the golf has a premium feel over the roc, the roc looks great but get to close and cost cutting will annoy, residual wise my mk5 gti bought at the same time has stronger residual values, and is the car everyone asks if we'd sell

maisbitt
09-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Mk6 GTD? No thanks. I'm not a fan of the MK6. The oversize rear clusters look ugly, and the performance models don't stand out enough from the bog standard MK6's.

The GTD is a rip off also - about £4000 more than the MK5 it replaced, and for what? A slightly more GTI'd interior and a few very cheap options.

Not sure where the "premium" over the Roc can be seen with the Golf. They've got the same build quality, The Roc GT has a better level of equipment than the equivalent GT Golf (ACC, climatronic 2-zone, RCD510, 18" wheels) and the only "cost cutting" measure I can see is the lack of a gas strut on the bonnet, although I believe this is down to the shape of the bonnet (shorter and deeper when compared to the Golf) and the extra leverage needed rather than saving all of about £6 on not fitting a gas strut. The Roc is built in Portugal, but the majority of UK bound Golfs are built in Belgium, not Germany (as if that should make a difference with the right training anyway)

I used to have a MK5 GT Sport TDI170, and it was ok, although the ride was awful compared to the Roc with ACC. The worst think about the 170TDI was it had far too much initial power to put down from a standstill. Finding a gap on a busy roundabout was such a hazard - give it any more than 1/3 throttle to pull away from a standstill and it would put your nose on ther oundabout then wheelspin like crazy. The CR version has improved things with a smoother power output over the old PD unit.

The standard ACC ride of a GT Scirocco on standard 18" wheels is far better than the standard MK6 non-ACC ride in GTD and GTI guises.

golf_bhoy87
09-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Crasher: Not sure whether golfbhoy means the Scirocco is a daft idea, or whether the frameless windows are a bad idea.

If he means the Scirocco is daft, then I would agree with you. Why someone would buy a Golf over a Scirocco unless they need the 5 doors or the 5th seat is beyond me - nicer looking car, better equipped, better residuals and pretty much the same price when comparing to GT/GTi trim Golfs.

nooooo lol i mean the windows opening themselves is a daft idea....i love the scirocco i think its a damn good looking car and good fun to drive:D