PDA

View Full Version : Noisy AC

andywell
06-03-2007, 12:01 PM
I've had my 2005 A4 Avant for about 4 weeks now and so far I'm really impressed with it. However there is one small niggle and that is the ammount of noise of air flowing from the vents. The only way to get rid of it seems to be either to turn the AC right off or just have the fan operating at its slowest speed.

Have any other A4 owners had this experience?

Eshrules
06-03-2007, 12:15 PM
I've had my 2005 A4 Avant for about 4 weeks now and so far I'm really impressed with it. However there is one small niggle and that is the ammount of noise of air flowing from the vents. The only way to get rid of it seems to be either to turn the AC right off or just have the fan operating at its slowest speed.

Have any other A4 owners had this experience?

i know on my golf the AC is quite loud, but i dont think you're suposed to have it on full al the time, thats what the auto mode is for, to maintain the temp, assuming you have climate control ofcourse.

if not, its probably best to keep it on the second to slowest setting, i never have my auto mode on my climatronic, the fan is always on its first setting, i find it keeps the temp just right, both when its cold and when its warm :)

andy2
06-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Yes- I have this on my 55 too- makes a lot of noise if you leave it on "Auto".

I don't use "Auto" - instead, I just open the top, middle and bottom vents (by pressing the three buttons) and use the two temperature controls to set the temperature in each of the zones - it still controls the temp and fan speed automatically.

RickT
06-03-2007, 05:53 PM
what type of noise is it.... you dont have a stuck flap do you??

RicKT

andy2
06-03-2007, 07:45 PM
If it's the same as mine it's just sounds like an enormous amount of "wind" type noise. No flaps are stuck- can easily alter the air flow manually.

RickT
06-03-2007, 07:54 PM
seems strange... i have never had that issue on my B6... (its the same unit in the B7)

RiCKT

andywell
06-03-2007, 08:39 PM
If it's the same as mine it's just sounds like an enormous amount of "wind" type noise. No flaps are stuck- can easily alter the air flow manually.

Yip, just sounds like wind noise but as soon as I switch the AC off the noise goes

Eshrules
07-03-2007, 10:17 AM
i thought this was just the normal flow of air.... when you turn it down it dissapears, thought it was simply just the noise of the air flowing into the cabin?

andywell
07-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all your views and advice. It looks like I'll just have to play about with it and find a setting where the noise is least

Teutonic_Tamer
07-03-2007, 06:15 PM
You may like to check to see if the "Recirc" flap is oprating correctly, or even jambed closed, as this does increase the noise.

If you are comfortable with removing the pollen filter, you will see the recirc flap underneath that. Get a helper to toggle off and on the recirc button, and watch for full movement of the flap. Obviously with the engine idling and the blower fan running.

For the less adventurous - turn the engine on, leave running on tick-over. Turn OFF radio/cd/SatNav/my belly (whoops, I-pod thingy! ;) ). With the fan turned up to about half, with the face level vents open, cycle the recirc swtich on and off. It can take about 2-3 seconds for the flap to fully cycle. You should be able to "hear" a difference in the noise. The same noise should be heard when you use the screen washers, as the recirc automatically operates with the squirters!

HTH, rgds