PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 Tdi Diesel Fumes on Start-up

LeeS
04-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi all,

I keep getting a strong waft of diesel fumes [inside the car] when starting our 2.0 PD 140 Golf, but only on the first start-up. Had it on a ramp & checked the obvious such as split exhaust, joints etc. Before I start serious investigation, does anybody else get this? I didn't on my last company Passat with the same engine, but then that got a lot more use - the Golf is very much a 2nd car.

Cheers

Lee

GarJE
06-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Mine does this too. It's a daily driver, so I don't think it's an issue to do with lack of use!

I can only think that the smell of unburned diesel is getting back through the HVAC system on startup due to a much richer mixture.

It even does it when I have reverse engaged/clutch in (which should activate the Recirculate function) when starting the car.

radox
06-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I hadn't noticed anything before but yesterday just after startup and reversing the car out the of garage I noticed the smell. Like GarJE above says, I think it's just the exhaust fumes getting into the car before the HVAC system gets its act together. Don't think it's anything to worry about.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5