PDA

View Full Version : Heater only blows cold

AJ9939
01-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I have a Passat TDI Est 1.9. 1999 and am struggling to get warm air from the heater. It has the climatronic air con.

Symptoms are that even after 20 mins driving it will not blow hot (or even v. warm) if on fan speed 3 or above. Speed 1 or 2 it can just cope but no higher. Then even on that setting, totally randomly it will blow cold. Then randomly blow warm/tepid again. It also cant seem to cope with being asked to blow at windscreen and feet above fan speed 2 either.
For a year it's had the ticking behind the dash in the glovebox area that I think is a motor / flap, but it's always blown hot air up till now.

I have looked here, but there seem so many possible causes, from dusty inside temp sensor (where is that?) to blocked heater matrix, to coolant issues, to outside air temp sensors. The engine does not overheat at all.

Ideally if anyone has ideas on what / how to check the simplest stuff first please. Not sure if my description of the fault rules any of the above out or not ?

Thanks for any replies / help and advice.

Adrian.

kenney
01-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi If the engine is running at 90 degrees,i think the best you can do, is get a fault code read on the CCU