PDA

View Full Version : A4 Indicator Problems.

Waterfowl
05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi.

I've got a 2004 1.8 SE (a "Mark One - Facelift")...

Due to replace soon and typically I have encountered a problem. A week or so back the indicators started working haphazardly and now pretty much not at all (despite the indicator arm being on). The hazards still work so I assume it isn't a flasher unit but a relay. I think this is located behind the centre console, as I can feel the relay clicking here (when they work!).

Will I be able to replace this myself??! At a guess, I assume the hazard switch with needs to come out and the relay be replaced through the aperture. Can this be done without removing the centre console/radio on this model and will I need special tools?

Any help would be very much appreciated...

Sam
05-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Your guess is correct.

If you have any surrounding switches (blanks are better) pop them out and get your fingers in to prise the switch out.

You can also pop the hazard button off and use needle-nose pliers to gently pull the switch out. Make sure you use some sort of cloth so you don't damage the switch though

Here's mine in my Passat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/mycarsavw/Pulled.jpg

Waterfowl
05-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks Sam.

The aperture on your photo is recangular, unlike mine which mine is triangular - right in the middle of the centre console (if that's the hazard switch that is pulled out on your photo).

Doe sthat mean I can do mine in the same manner? I am fearful of damaging the dash - what's the best way to pop out the switches? Can I push in a flat-nosed screwdriver into the flat, bottom, part of the of the triangular switch without breaking any lugs?

Sam
05-03-2007, 02:43 PM
The "face" of the switch should come off but don't quote me on that.

I'd pop it off and use pliers (and a cloth) to pull the switch out (there should be a small lip that the face clips to)

I don't think I'd be jabbing screwdrivers into the dash :(

PeterT
25-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi there waterfowel, may have a similar problem on my A4, but. . . If the steeringwheel is moved left or right, you can affect whether the indicators flash near normally, just a flash or two, or not at all. Did you experience anything like this?ThanksPeter

PeterT
28-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Sorted, changed the hazard flasher unit and bingo, all my indicator problems seem fixed.

If anyone else reads this post, the unit was 33.25 from a local Europarts shop, but I since found they are cheaper on the web if you can afford to wait for the delivery. . .

Regards
Peter

Kace
08-08-2007, 09:07 PM
I see that this seems to be an easy job, but could someone confirm which fascia actually comes off - this is a picture of my 04. Is it the fascia indicated by the red mark on the left or the one indicated by the red mark on the right ?

http://www.geocities.com/kristoforchmilar/images/DSC07588.JPG

Thanks for any assistance.

PeterT
12-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi there Kace,
Just back from hols and saw your post...

The facia in my A4 is different; the LH red blob facia extends up and around the cup holder, hazard SW etc... This may be as I don't have the combined tape and CD player like you. In my case I wrapped tissue paper around a small terminal screw driver and carefully inserted it between the facia and console gave it a gentle lever action working along carefully and out it popped.

The hazard SW I have has a triangular button and pokes through the facia. It had a square plastic body and retaining spring clips just like in the photo at the top of the thread. It needed more of a tug to remove though.

If you open the cup holder, can you see the square plastic body of the switch under the switch cap? I'm thinking the square switch cap comes off and you can access the switch body to pull it out.

I'f you're able to find a picture of the replacement part on the web you may be able to work out how to remove it.

Glad to help if I can or just bounce ideas around. If some one else can help Kace here, please do!

Regards
Peter

Kace
12-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks Peter. I took a close look at the switch (per images below) and tried to stick in a thin screwdriver alongside the switch when I have the cup holder partly open. There is no way I can see to prise the switch out in this way. Does anyone have a 04 (or newer) with the same fascia and switch configuration, that knows how to access these switches ?

http://www.geocities.com/kristoforchmilar/images/DSC07657.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/kristoforchmilar/images/DSC07658.JPG

Thanks in advance.
K

PeterT
15-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Kace,
The switch body looks the same as mine but the switch cap is different as I've said. In my case I could get a broad screw driver blade between the square plastic edge that extends beyond the swith body (masking the gap you'd want to insert a screwdriver down to depress the retaining springs) and the aperture into which the switch goes. twisting the screw driver gave enough force to pop the switch out; the springs on the side are quite tough but this technique worked well.

I saw another post - can't find it yet - that suggested using a large pair of pliers, grab hold and pull. wow. Sounds fierce to me but if the switch is broken electrically, then mechanical damage isn't that important either I suppose.

http://192.168.1.254/photos/2007/dad_cam 042.jpg

Good luck!
Peter