PDA

View Full Version : Question DLP code gearbox. a3 1.6

goldenoldie
28-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Iv been reading about the DUU G/box nightmares.
I have DLP code box on my 98 1.6 can an expert tell me if this box has same / similar weakness.?

no probs so far at 75k.
only 1 DLP box prob recorded on net .
many do not mention the code.
Recon box suppliers include DLP code ??
im worried now.:(
thanx in advance!

goldenoldie
01-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Anyone at all got any info on DLP ?

Am i right in assuming the rivets in these boxes are made from a stronger material than the DUU etc..

I really want to keep this car,, :o i saved for years to buy one!!!!!!!!!!

hippopig
23-03-2009, 03:59 AM
im having probs with mine and trying to find any info i can to fix it......no 5th gear ....bit of a whine in 2nd 3rd

goldenoldie
23-03-2009, 07:54 PM
My best advice is stop driving the car now before she spits a rivet through the casing and possibly making a repair uneconomical (as well as leaving you high n dry).http://www.spiretech.com/~vw6spd/rivets.htm (http://www.spiretech.com/%7Evw6spd/rivets.htm)
You can get a bot kit from audi (50 quid) to replace the rivets and the job is not beyond the avarage DIY er with the addition of a few special tools you could fix it yerself for bout 140.

Other than that you could get a recon box with bolt kit alredy fitted at around 500 notes but not sure what a machanic will charge for swappin it over probs around the 400 mark

http://www.volkswagenspares.com/page.php?page=Gearboxes

Because its so common second hand boxes are like hens teeth to find and it could happen again straight away so the bolt kit is the best option

please can you confirm your G/box code and mileage for me.

good luck with it M8

hippopig
23-03-2009, 09:02 PM
well i am a mechanic so no worries about changing the box......but ive never got involved with the actual box splitting....but being skint means im probably going to have to........any info pics or anything else would be greatly appreciated

eengine code afk gearbox code dlp. 1998 1.6 petrol a3

goldenoldie
23-03-2009, 11:03 PM
I remember finding a complete "how to" on splitting a duu gearbox and fitting a bolt kit with pictures ,part numbers and prices when i googled AUDI DUU GEARBOX at xmas and searched around for a few nights, but i bloody forget where now .

just had a quick look but no joy . i think it was a link on a forum somewhere.

if i remember rightly I THINK the only problem splitting was a hidden bolt that u needed a foot long allen key for but im no mechanic so cannot advise more than what iv read.

You could try a private message to CRASHER on this forum that guy really knows his onions.

Sorry 2 repeat what is your mileage???

hippopig
23-03-2009, 11:40 PM
sorry matey forgot that.....its 112k.......gonna have a look around and i might pm him

hippopig
24-04-2009, 10:40 PM
all done and back on the road,with massive technical assistance from Crasher on here....replaced 5th gear the driven gear and syncro.....£150 ish all in and a few hours of my time.........all back on the road.....but now im just very unimpressed with the performance of the 1.6...............time to move on me thinks

goldenoldie
26-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Glad 2 hear u got it back from the dead pal, without having your pants pulled down by one of the main agents.:D

im gonna hang on to my 1.6 as the last owner recently spent a not so small fortune on her, and i reckon the gearbox prob is the only big job i will have to face in the future.

any info you could pass on to me for reference would be gratefully recieved.:beerchug:

Best regards