PDA

View Full Version : Brake seems to get stuck on for 10 seconds after releasing?

VtecJunkie
27-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Today i noticed my brakes were staying on for about 10 seconds after the foot pedal was released. The brake pedal seemed to stay down a while after breaking, rising to it's normal postion slowly.

It happened when the car was fully warm, just out of the blue. But when i drove it home after work it seemed fine.

Could the brakes need bleeding? And if so is there an article on here that tells you how to do it?

Cheers

uk_promonsta
28-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi, this is the symtoms i have been getting with my car but this happend on a cold morning for me. it has done this three times and has not done it now for three weeks. After a bit of research on this forum i learnt about the drain holes in the plenem chamber blocking (and sure enought mine were) so was assuming that it filled with water causing water to ingress into the brake servo causing this problem when cold. but could this just be coincidence it just happend to be cold the three mornings i had this occour. Will be interested to see what the experts on here have to say about your problem. Good luck.

VtecJunkie
28-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi mate, thanks for the response! I forgot to mention that it only seems to do this in the cold (below 0, so fits in with your water theory).. sounds like your answer is spot on!

How did you go about rectifying the problem? I'll have a search myself on the plenem chamber.

THanks again- really helpful :beerchug:

uk_promonsta
29-01-2009, 06:21 PM
hi mate, i havent actually fixed the problem yet, luckily my partner is useing the mother inlaws car so mine is parked up most of the time. But when i get the time i am going to get a new brake servo and fit it. By what i have read this will cure it. Obviously its not safe to use with the water logged one in, the brakes could pack up at any time. I think it is lucky for us to be cold enough for the water in the servo to freeze, there for giving us an early warning rather than the brakes just one day not being there. But all that aside, has your car been serviced by the main dealer? if so this could be there problem not yours! thanks.

Marco34
29-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Mine did this years ago and required a new servo. It will likely be that that is sticking. It did with me. I had water in the plenum chamber. I drained in then found the hole under the battery which was bunged. Reach under from the engine bay until you are under the battery. You will feel a rubber gromit, this may need a prod. I then swilled more warm water through and always listen for water dripping out when washing. Good luck with it.