PDA

View Full Version : No power and smoking

rob160
27-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Righty then my mate has a seat Alhambra with a 1.9tdi PD engine which has lost most of its power and is smocking really bad and also the turbo is whistling loudly. and there is a ticking when revved under load. Iv put it down to a ****** turbo and bottom end and the reason is hes not gave it a oil change in over 20k miles.
Do you think Im right or does it sound like anything else and is there A easy way of finding out other than stripping it.

zollaf
27-01-2009, 06:09 PM
have you checked for any leaking turbo pipes, as apart from the ticking noise, these are the symtoms a split boost pipe will give.if a longlife oil was in the sump, then the engine may still be ok. i would check it over, change the oil and filter and see.when revved you may be able to listen and feel for air blowing out somewhere, just follow the big pipes from the turbo to the intercooler, then to the engine.

rob160
29-01-2009, 07:09 PM
have you checked for any leaking turbo pipes, as apart from the ticking noise, these are the symtoms a split boost pipe will give.if a longlife oil was in the sump, then the engine may still be ok. i would check it over, change the oil and filter and see.when revved you may be able to listen and feel for air blowing out somewhere, just follow the big pipes from the turbo to the intercooler, then to the engine.

If it was a split pipe it wouldn't courses it to smoke would it?

paul b
29-01-2009, 07:11 PM
If it was a split pipe it wouldn't courses it to smoke would it?
If it is the intercooler pipe, yes it will.

I replaced the turbo on my PD TDI T5 van with exactly the symptoms you describe, only to be gutted when I realised the intercooler pipe clips had worn causing a leak.