PDA

View Full Version : You miss it, when you don't have it

moptisam2
27-01-2009, 03:42 AM
For a week my local dealer has had my car, trying to sort out my problems with first gear. They have lent me a car of a much lower spec than my own. The 3 features of my own car that I don’t have with the loan car, that I now greatly miss are:

servotronic power steering: in comparison to my car this car is like driving a tank – a painful experience since I fell on ice and injured my wrist,

front and rear distance sensors: people park right behind my driveway and I have a lot of messing around to get out onto the road, and

hill hold assist: I live in an area of West Yorkshire with not many flat areas and having to remember to always flick on the handbrake, instead of it coming on automatically, is a pain, as well as the delay before it comes on – really annoying when you are trying to get out of a steep road junction (see recent thread on this - my sentiments entirely!

Are there any other things that members miss when they have a loan car whilst the garage has their’s?

AndyH123
27-01-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm back in my B8 after a month of trundling around in a B7. People found my outrage at having to actually wipe the windscreen and remember to turn lights on and off quite amusing..

I don't think the B7 thanked me for the couple of times I forgot to wait a second or two for the glow plugs before starting the engine, so add that to the list.

Hard drive + B & O..

Auto dimming rear view mirror..

Heated seats - can't believe I missed most of my first winter, that said, it ain't over yet..

So yeah, most of it, I'd say.

The steering I'm still in two minds on. I really like the weight of my non-servo B8. But everytime I jump in an alternative that is assisted I think 'mmmmm, yeah, maybe you should be able to steer one fingered'. And then when I'm back in mine, like you say, "tank" is a good word :)

One thing I would say, the B7 Sat Nav lady has more vocab - actually speaks most place names instead of just road number and "towards the north". And B7 lady wins most amusing Sat Nav instruction: "prepare to arrive at a roundabout", made me chuckle everytime. A roundabout - oh no, what do I do!

And I'm back with my trade off of nice big wheels vs tramlining and a harder ride. But that's ok too :)

jakerade
27-01-2009, 03:18 PM
i think the sat nav in the B7 is superior to the B8 as:

1, it doesnt say "please..." on every instruction
2, it allows you to choose which route you want rather than just set off blindly on some ridiculous route it has come up with
3, the junction guidance is better
4, it doesnt leave the bit of the route you have just travelled still high-lighted

just my two pence worth though! I do prefer the location of the screen on the B8.

Jop
27-01-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm left wondering when i get the instruction to "Make a half left turn"

Foringo
28-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Agree what the hell is a half turn!!

The electronic speedo is good but you can't have this and the navigation arrows at the same time. This wouldn't be a problem but the markings on the analogue speedo are too close together (for me) to read easily at 30 - 40mph..anybody else noticed this? The light switch is also a pain as I can't see the foglight 'idiot' lights as they are masked by the steering wheel...perhaps it just the way I have my seat and steering wheel adjusted but I'm sure I can't be the only one?

A friend of mine has recently bought a new A4 after previously owning the B7 model and has found the steering just too heavy, I have the Servotronic and find it very good and would recommend it.

A bit disappointed with the front and rear parking sensors which aren't as sophisticated as the system my C*tr*en. On my A4 the audio system stays at the same sound level, whereas the system in my other car quietens a bit. Also the front sensors need selecting every time on the dashboard switch, on the C*tr*en they always stay active and are never a problem and there's a switch to turn them off if necessary but I've never needed to use it...far better. Still a useful option though!

Worth going for the hill assist even on an auto as it appears to operate the parking brake quicker that the main switch and when selected puts it on automatically when you park up...it's also cheap!

ScottyUK
28-01-2009, 09:59 PM
How does the Citroen avoid beeping from the front sensors when in traffic etc?

Does it work over a shorter range?

onzarob
28-01-2009, 10:04 PM
I miss my whole car, but it isn't coming back..written off, the Alfa 159 I have at the mo has more gadgets, but the ride is harsh, the steering heavy and the engine...although a diesel with 200BHP....drinks diesel like a petrol engine..average 32mpg where my A4 was doing 53mpg......:(

Foringo
29-01-2009, 12:34 AM
How does the Citroen avoid beeping from the front sensors when in traffic etc?

Does it work over a shorter range?

The range may be a little less but adequate when using it for edging up to obstacles, normal queuing isn't a problem just the odd pedestrian crossing in front! The A4 system isn't a great problem but it's just another action to set it working when needed.

Red 2
29-01-2009, 07:30 AM

. On my A4 the audio system stays at the same sound level, whereas the system in my other car quietens a bit.

Worth going for the hill assist even on an auto as it appears to operate the parking brake quicker that the main switch and when selected puts it on automatically when you park up...it's also cheap!

You can adjust the volume of the sensor beeps via the menu. I have mine set so the radio is virtually silent when the sensors kick in.

Hill hold is so useful and to Audi it costs peanuts, why they don't fit it as standard is a mystery to me. Mind you, could say the same about a glovebox light!

AndyH123
29-01-2009, 09:41 AM

The electronic speedo is good but you can't have this and the navigation arrows at the same time. This wouldn't be a problem but the markings on the analogue speedo are too close together (for me) to read easily at 30 - 40mph..anybody else noticed this?

I love answering this question :)

Have a look at the wiper stalk, there's a button underneath it (labelled 'reset' I think). When the Nav arrows are on, press that button a few times and it'll cycle through various displays - one being digital speedo. Hurrah!

And yes, dunno quite how they managed to make the analogue speedo quite so useless.

2.7 S-line
29-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I love answering this question :)

Have a look at the wiper stalk, there's a button underneath it (labelled 'reset' I think). When the Nav arrows are on, press that button a few times and it'll cycle through various displays - one being digital speedo. Hurrah!

And yes, dunno quite how they managed to make the analogue speedo quite so useless.

i think if you read the original post again he was saying it was a bit of a shame you can't have the digital speedo and the nav directions showing at the same time not that he didn't know how to get the digital speedo up when in nav mode - i know i find it a pain - wouldn't take much to have a smaller version of the digital speedo showing at the bottom of the nav screen , instead of choosing one or the other - i find the turn off countdown in the drivers display really useful for closely spaced junctions - but most of the time can't see it as i have to use the digital speedo (i find the analogue speedo useless)

AndyH123
29-01-2009, 02:11 PM
i think if you read the original post again he was saying it was a bit of a shame you can't have the digital speedo and the nav directions showing at the same time not that he didn't know how to get the digital speedo up when in nav mode

Ah, yes, sorry - got a bit excited there. That'll teach me to reply to forum posts before having my required intake of tea.

kodkod.84
29-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Personally can't stand digital speedo's and really hope that Audi don't go the way of Honda/Renault and remove the analog one completely. Something about the numbers keep on changing that annoys me.

ScottyUK
29-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Something about the numbers keep on changing that annoys me.

You do know you're meant to be mainly looking out the windscreen don't you ? :p

;)

kodkod.84
29-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah yeah I know :D, I get too mesmerised by the red and white dials LOL Notice a lot of car companies are using this color scheme now, from VW Golf Mk6 to Vauxhall Insignia to the Scania Trucks we have at work - I wonder who used it first?

The digi speedo's annoying mainly at night esp. when I was driving a hire Megane and the numbers kept flickering away.

Foringo
29-01-2009, 08:32 PM
You can adjust the volume of the sensor beeps via the menu. I have mine set so the radio is virtually silent when the sensors kick in.

Hill hold is so useful and to Audi it costs peanuts, why they don't fit it as standard is a mystery to me. Mind you, could say the same about a glovebox light!

Thanks Red2 I've adjusted the tone and volume of the beeps but didn't know you could make the radio mute a bit......I'll have to have another look at my manual.

MalcQV
29-01-2009, 10:47 PM
I miss my whole car, but it isn't coming back..written off, the Alfa 159 I have at the mo has more gadgets, but the ride is harsh, the steering heavy and the engine...although a diesel with 200BHP....drinks diesel like a petrol engine..average 32mpg where my A4 was doing 53mpg......:(

Italian passion, Bolox to the cost enjoy the experience :p:p:p

onzarob
29-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Italian passion, Bolox to the cost enjoy the experience :p:p:p

Malc I really wanted to love this car, I do love Alfas, I've owned one in the past a 155 and this new car looks every bit the itallian it is.....But it just so uncomfortable...the seat is leather over concrete!!! the suspension is nothing more that fixed scafolding!! and the engine feel like a tank engine.....such a dissapointment...my old Alfa felt nimble and comfortable. the 159 is good to look at but a crap ride :(

MalcQV
30-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Malc I really wanted to love this car, I do love Alfas, I've owned one in the past a 155 and this new car looks every bit the itallian it is.....But it just so uncomfortable...the seat is leather over concrete!!! the suspension is nothing more that fixed scafolding!! and the engine feel like a tank engine.....such a dissapointment...my old Alfa felt nimble and comfortable. the 159 is good to look at but a crap ride :(

I like all you say but for the tank engine. Not sure how good or where the diesel engine in Alfas are from, I would assume Fiat but is it? I am sure the V6 petrol is in effect a GM engine with an Alfa head but am informed still sounds glorious.

moptisam2
02-02-2009, 09:58 AM
I have just got back from a 600 mile round trip to the South and, hopefully (snow permitting), I'm going to collect my B8 from the dealers later today. I will certainly be glad to have it back.

I especially missed the three things I mentioned in my first post.

A note to Foringo, when I go in reverse the music system automatically goes quieter. If your’s doesn’t, why not mention it the next time the car goes in to the dealers?