PDA

View Full Version : differnce between 1.9 TDI match and 2.0 GT TDI?

millie&alfie
26-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm looking at changing my mini cooper for a 5 door golf, 05-07 reg but i'm struggling to find the differnce between the 1.9 TDI match and the 2.0 TDI GT.

The dealers haven't been much help and i'm looking for the differnces between them in terms of equipment and performance to help me decide which one to go for.

Any advice?

paul b
27-01-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm looking at changing my mini cooper for a 5 door golf, 05-07 reg but i'm struggling to find the differnce between the 1.9 TDI match and the 2.0 TDI GT.

The dealers haven't been much help and i'm looking for the differnces between them in terms of equipment and performance to help me decide which one to go for.

Any advice?
The 1.9 TDI is 105bhp, the 2.0 TDI GT will be 140bhp.

There will be more equipment on the GT TDI, but there will also be a bigger price tag. :(

Paul

STEWY L
27-01-2009, 06:37 PM
The 1.9 TDI is 105bhp, the 2.0 TDI GT will be 140bhp.

There will be more equipment on the GT TDI, but there will also be a bigger price tag. :(

Paul
paul, if you are correct,( and i don't doubt you at all),it's a "no brainer"
(that has to originate from the states), 2.0 tdi gt,in my mind worth the extra on the second hand price,but is their not a 2.0 tdi gt 170 bhp also?
or am i getting mixed up here?
best regards,
stewy.

paul b
27-01-2009, 06:51 PM
paul, if you are correct,( and i don't doubt you at all),it's a "no brainer"
(that has to originate from the states), 2.0 tdi gt,in my mind worth the extra on the second hand price,but is their not a 2.0 tdi gt 170 bhp also?
or am i getting mixed up here?
best regards,
stewy.
Yes Stewy there is a 170bhp GT TDI.

However, if the original poster is considering a 105bhp Match, then they won't be happy with the fuel consumption of the 170bhp model.

My mate is getting late 30s early 40s mpg maximum out of his 170bhp A3 Sportback, he wishes he'd have got the 140bhp model now.

Paul

STEWY L
27-01-2009, 07:15 PM
he doesn't say if he is after perfomance,or mpg,but my thoughts, to be honest, lean to
the interior differences!!!!
he just doesn't say.
he also doesn't say which 2.0tdi gt he has been looking at!!!
as you say, difference in price from match to tdi gt, but to me i really don't think he has given much thought to what he wants?
their is a vast difference,and i find it difficult to understand why the dealer can't tell him what the differences are!
would you agree?
stewy.

kodkod.84
27-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Easy peasy 2.0TDI GT is the one to go for- smarter seats, smarter grille, smarter wheels, but I am biased as it is what the girlfriend drives, and I rarely get a look in when I want to have a drive.

Pic on my profile.

The match looks just a little bit too conservative for my liking.

millie&alfie
28-01-2009, 09:04 PM
I have given a lot of thought to which car i'm looking at and wouldn't touch the 170 as i'm past looking at high performance and am more interested in the equipment levels rather than speed/bhp.

Ruled out the A3 as not worth the extra, and didn't like the leon much,either.

On the face of it, aside from the performance, suspension etc. the 1.9 looks a better bet for the money. I still want a great car but will now be looking at putting kids in it, too.

zf44
29-01-2009, 09:16 AM
If you are looking for value for money I would opt for the 1.9TDi. If you are looking at models from 2005 to 2007, there are a choice of models you can select, all explained in this thread.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=58621

At the moment I'm finding the Golf Plus is really good value and increasing in popularity as more people shy away from high running costs of Tourans and Sharans and want something larger than a Golf and but delivers the same economy. The SE models are the best of the bunch, all 1.9TDi with alot of spec.

lilrick90
29-01-2009, 08:58 PM
go for the 1.9 tdi! with the way fule prices are and the credit crunch you are better with the 1.9. more miles out the gallon right? plus the turbo will keep you happy

knt
30-01-2009, 06:33 PM
If you want decent equipment levels then go for the Match models, as you get more for your £££ than other models.

I have given a lot of thought to which car i'm looking at and wouldn't touch the 170 as i'm past looking at high performance and am more interested in the equipment levels rather than speed/bhp.

Ruled out the A3 as not worth the extra, and didn't like the leon much,either.

On the face of it, aside from the performance, suspension etc. the 1.9 looks a better bet for the money. I still want a great car but will now be looking at putting kids in it, too.

traveller88
07-02-2009, 05:06 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is much difference in fuel economy between the two and is there any internet site that lists these figures?

paul b
07-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is much difference in fuel economy between the two and is there any internet site that lists these figures?
Try www.parkers.co.uk (http://www.parkers.co.uk)

The 1.9 TDI will be a little bit more economical, but the extra 35bhp of the GT TDI will win your heart when you drive the two of them.

Paul

zf44
08-02-2009, 11:00 PM
From an official VW literature...... all relating to a manual gearbox.

1.9 TDi MATCH (5 speed)
Ouput: 105PS
CO2: 132 (Band C Road Tax)
Urban: 43.5 mpg
Extra-urban: 65.7 mpg
Combined: 56.5 mpg

2.0 TDi (140PS) GT SPORT (6 speed)
Output: 140PS
CO2: 145 (Band C Road Tax)
Urban: 41.5 mpg
Extra-urban: 60.1 mpg
Combined: 51.4 mpg

2.0 TDi (170PS) GT SPORT (6 speed)
Output: 170PS
CO2: 156 (Band D Road Tax)
Urban: 36.2 mpg
Extra-urban: 58.9 mpg
Combined: 47.9 mpg

Nodders
18-02-2009, 11:22 PM
1.9 tdi match gets armrest, cruise control and highline computer as standard. These are extra on the GT tdi. But the GT tdi gets lowered suspension, sports seats, 17" alloys and GTI style front grill. Personally drive the 170tdi version and the performance is awesome and the engine is very smooth (balancer shafts) and as quiet as a pd engine gets. The 1.9 tdi by comparison is very agricultural. As they say " you pays your money and takes your choice"

;)

jaygeebee
20-02-2009, 12:56 PM

Any advice?
Thought about both got a 1.9 match because the running costs(insurance) were more to my budget. Cruise control very useful, iPod connector useful and I regularly get 66mpg on 90+ miles journeys to Wales(avg speed 39mph). Easy to drive etc.:approve:

traveller88
20-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi,

Is the 1.9 tdi match equivalent to the 1.9 tdi SE and if not, what are the main differences?

Im also looking to buy either the 1.9 tdi or the 2.0 tdi. Would you say that for 90% of driving conditions the 1.9 would be sufficient or would i miss the extra power of the 2 litre? I drive a mini cooper at the moment, but with a new family a golf would be more suitable.

zf44
23-02-2009, 10:13 AM
You tend to get more specification on a MATCH (Body colour door handles, bumper/side strips, multi function steering wheel, armrest with iPOD connection) rather than a SE. Also, have you considered a Golf Plus? It provides ample space for a growing family. The 1.9 TDI engines are more than adequate for town and motorway driving.

southbynorth
23-02-2009, 10:09 PM
You tend to get more specification on a MATCH (Body colour door handles, bumper/side strips, multi function steering wheel, armrest with iPOD connection) rather than a SE. Also, have you considered a Golf Plus? It provides ample space for a growing family. The 1.9 TDI engines are more than adequate for town and motorway driving.

What about a GT Sport? recent models come with leather interior, colour coded bumper/sides, 17 inch wheels, armrest and all the auto gadgets you could want...mines (now I have my insurane replacement lol) keeping me very happy :D

Remaster
26-02-2009, 08:44 PM
It's only my opinion, and worth checking with some googling, but I think the 1.9TDi is a more reliable engine. The 2.0TDi is apparently a bored out 1.9 and suffers because of it, especially head gasket failures. As you can see from my sig I've got a 2.0TDi Passat and, whilst I enjoy the power delivery of this engine, I've had TWO replacement engines under warranty. The original engine lasted just under 14k miles, and the first replacement lasted another 9k miles. Apparently, I was just unlucky (understatement of the year), but I've since found out that this engine design is not one of the best in terms of longevity. My car has now covered 29k miles in total (i.e. the second replacement engine has done about 5k) and in warranty until the end of August. I'm a bit worried about what might happen after the warranty runs out!

On both engine failure occasions I had a 1.9TDi Golf courtesy car and it felt fine in terms of performance. The engine has a good 'solid' feel about it that th 2.0TDi seems to lack. Unless you want the extra torque the 1.9 should be a better bet IMO.

hth

knt
26-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Consider VW Extended warranty

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended/3-years-plus

once your original warranty runs out if you're worried about repair costs.

It's only my opinion, and worth checking with some googling, but I think the 1.9TDi is a more reliable engine. The 2.0TDi is apparently a bored out 1.9 and suffers because of it, especially head gasket failures. As you can see from my sig I've got a 2.0TDi Passat and, whilst I enjoy the power delivery of this engine, I've had TWO replacement engines under warranty. The original engine lasted just under 14k miles, and the first replacement lasted another 9k miles. Apparently, I was just unlucky (understatement of the year), but I've since found out that this engine design is not one of the best in terms of longevity. My car has now covered 29k miles in total (i.e. the second replacement engine has done about 5k) and in warranty until the end of August. I'm a bit worried about what might happen after the warranty runs out!

On both engine failure occasions I had a 1.9TDi Golf courtesy car and it felt fine in terms of performance. The engine has a good 'solid' feel about it that th 2.0TDi seems to lack. Unless you want the extra torque the 1.9 should be a better bet IMO.

hth