PDA

View Full Version : Gear leaver gaiter Prices !!!

Cornblower
26-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi, all my gear gaiter needs replacing and my 03 Passat Sport, just rang VW and they quoted me £71.87 plus Vat :aargh4:

Does any one of any good quality one at a cheaper price, seen some on eBay but not sure how good they are.

Cornblower

size12
26-01-2009, 09:32 PM
the genuine leather ones from ebay are ok I got one for my golf.

andy pen
26-01-2009, 09:38 PM
the genuine leather ones from ebay are ok I got one for my golf.
I agree the leather ones off Ebay are good and mines a prefect colour match.
But I can't work out how to remove the gear knob:confused: Any ideas on a 98 passat???

size12
26-01-2009, 09:43 PM
as I remember you have to pull it like your pulling a naughty man or your mother :biglaugh:

paul b
27-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Like on my A6, the gear gaiter and gear knob are all one piece. I think that's why they want £70+, I was quoted a similar amount for my A6, which incidentally still needs a new gearknob.

The Skoda I have is the same, gear gaiter and gear knob are all once piece. You'll break it trying to split them.

Paul

MalcQV
27-01-2009, 11:51 PM
The chrome on the knob and the leather sheath :p are knackered on mine. The thing even sliced my hand the other month. I had Sellotape on it up until just before Xmas and pulling it off pulled the sharp plastic chrome off.

I am sure VAGparts did one for about £20 or less. I just can't be bothered.

Cornblower
30-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Cheers for the replys guys, I bit the bullet and spent a whole £6.99 for a black leather one off eBay, I emailed them and said it would fit 100%.

To fit it I just lifted up the old gaiter from the bottom, twisted off the metal clamp round the base of the knob and it just popped off. Fitted the small plastic hat off old gaiter to the top of the new one and then jubilee cliped the knob back to the stalk, and re-fitted the base.

Fantastic ....... and saved myself £75 :biglaugh:

Cornblower

martin1810
30-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm surprised by the price. A complete gear knob and gaitor for my b6 passat is less than £40 from VW dealer.

keithnewsome
30-01-2009, 07:40 PM
I too was quoted £71 by local VW dealer, looked on ebay, VWteesside sell the genuine thing, five or six speed, and various colours for less than half price !

Keith.

Cornblower
31-01-2009, 10:46 AM
VWteesside sell the genuine thing, five or six speed, and various colours for less than half price !

I did see those but Teesside were shut until Feb 3rd and I couldn't wait, but theirs are PVC not Leather. Happy with the Leather one I bought for £6.99, fitted perfectly. Would recomend them to anyone.

Cornblower