PDA

View Full Version : Bora Welding Marks on Boot Floor

Nickyboy
04-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi there
I've just put a deposit down on a Bora V6 4motion. It's from a small but reputable local dealer, but a little concerned as I noticed what looked like welding across the entire width of the boot floor (under the carpet). The dealer told me that all Boras have this, is this true? HPi checked and no write off revealed. Any advice gratefully received as i've never owned a Bora before. Many thanks, Nick

Iain.
04-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi there
I've just put a deposit down on a Bora V6 4motion. It's from a small but reputable local dealer, but a little concerned as I noticed what looked like welding across the entire width of the boot floor (under the carpet). The dealer told me that all Boras have this, is this true? HPi checked and no write off revealed. Any advice gratefully received as i've never owned a Bora before. Many thanks, Nick

Try looking at a similar Bora elsewhere. If the car has been involved in a 'non recorded' scenario then HPI wouldn't have any record of it.

Eshrules
04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
it is possible that you're looking at what is normal welding, i have it in my golf, my brother has it in his and it think its there as a result of the manufacturing process, i really wouldnt be worried if the HPI checks out, take a look at a few more and see if they are all the same, just to put your mind at rest :D

Nickyboy
04-03-2007, 10:51 PM
thanks Iain/Carl
had a look at a v5 today and that didn't have the same welding. Others have said their golfs have some welding. Still a bit unsure as to why clearly visible welding would be part of the maufacturing process

Eshrules
04-03-2007, 11:16 PM
thanks Iain/Carl
had a look at a v5 today and that didn't have the same welding. Others have said their golfs have some welding. Still a bit unsure as to why clearly visible welding would be part of the maufacturing process

dont know, but HPI came back clear and theres no panels out of line, could just be one of those quirks, im sure it isnt anythign to be woried about, as i said, mines not the only one ive seen with it in, unless im terribly unlucky in the cars i lookat! :(

Iain.
05-03-2007, 01:16 AM
thanks Iain/Carl

If the other V5 didn't have weld marks then your potential new car shouldn't have either.
Just because HPI haven't got it on file doesn't mean to say that it has not been involved in an accident. It might have been bought as un-recorded and repaired. I would ask for information regarding previous owner and contact them regarding any previous damage. If you cannot satisfy this doubt in your mind then walk away.

Eshrules
05-03-2007, 01:46 AM
If the other V5 didn't have weld marks then your potential new car shouldn't have either.
Just because HPI haven't got it on file doesn't mean to say that it has not been involved in an accident. It might have been bought as un-recorded and repaired. I would ask for information regarding previous owner and contact them regarding any previous damage. If you cannot satisfy this doubt in your mind then walk away.

i disagree, i suspect in fact, that the V5 that did nt have the manufacturer welding, was the accident damaged car. my advice would be, go and see at least another 5 cars and draw from that your conclusion. the welding you describe sounds to me part of the normal manufacture process, ill pm teutonic tamer, he's fairly up on these things and may offer a bit more detail. :beerchug:

Iain.
05-03-2007, 02:16 AM
i disagree, i suspect in fact, that the V5 that did nt have the manufacturer welding, was the accident damaged car. my advice would be, go and see at least another 5 cars and draw from that your conclusion. the welding you describe sounds to me part of the normal manufacture process, ill pm teutonic tamer, he's fairly up on these things and may offer a bit more detail. :beerchug:

Although sound advice, the difficulty might be finding 5 V5's before Wednesday!
Perhaps your best course of action would be to visit the main dealer parts dept. and check out their parts cd.
I would definitely go down the previous owner route though. If your car dealer is reluctant to divulge this info then again walk away.
Good luck!

Eshrules
05-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Although sound advice, the difficulty might be finding 5 V5's before Wednesday!
Perhaps your best course of action would be to visit the main dealer parts dept. and check out their parts cd.
I would definitely go down the previous owner route though. If your car dealer is reluctant to divulge this info then again walk away.
Good luck!

why by wednesday? and why v5's? bit confused about that.... as for finding 5 v5's, he only needs to find 5 boras in essence (the deposit he has placed is against a 4motion anyway), they are the same car, simply with different engines, running gear etc etc, the body and manufacture of such is exactly the same for each and every model, as far as the actual metal work is concerned.

im unsure how viewing the parts cd would explain the welding.... it wouldnt be a recognised 'part' as such.

to resolve the situation,id go back to the dealer, express your concerns and ask that he holds the car for a few more days whilst you research into it. he won't have a problem with it, he's got his deposit and for now, especially for a smaller dealer that should be enough. if it turns out that the welding is not the norm, you can go back, explain as much to the dealer and ask for your deposit back as the car is being sold under false pretence.

id suggest the best place to look would be a VW main dealer, take a look at as many boras and golfs as possible and see if the welding you refer to is found. if not... you know what to do :beerchug:

PS ----- Just an added though, the welding you described, is it the same colour as the rest of the internal bodywork? or is it a 'clean' silver ie fresh weld

Nickyboy
05-03-2007, 10:51 AM
thanks for your helpful comments- i'll certainly follow some of your advice. The "welding" is blackish colour- same colour as the car, it has the appearance of paste like/tarmac substance??
I looked at some old threads and perhaps its something to do with the 4motion having a 4wd system. What do you think? Some say that the bora 4 motion has a shallower boot than normal boras because of it and athat's why it needs a space saving wheel. Perhaps the welding was necessary for some sort of alteration to accommodate the 4wd system - hence different to non 4wd boras.

Eshrules
05-03-2007, 11:21 AM
thanks for your helpful comments- i'll certainly follow some of your advice. The "welding" is blackish colour- same colour as the car, it has the appearance of paste like/tarmac substance??
I looked at some old threads and perhaps its something to do with the 4motion having a 4wd system. What do you think? Some say that the bora 4 motion has a shallower boot than normal boras because of it and athat's why it needs a space saving wheel. Perhaps the welding was necessary for some sort of alteration to accommodate the 4wd system - hence different to non 4wd boras.

perhaps, if it has the appearance of tarmac/paste like substance, this confuses me, welding sets hard.... it may be worth your while trying to find someone who owns a bora 4motion and ask them the question.... they would probably be the best to ask, or try to find another 4motion in a main dealer and look at that one.... bit stumped now by the paste like comment :confused: LOL ill bet after much discussion and debate, the car turns out to be just fine.

Iain.
05-03-2007, 11:22 AM
why by wednesday? and why v5's? bit confused about that.... as for finding 5 v5's, he only needs to find 5 boras in essence (the deposit he has placed is against a 4motion anyway), they are the same car, simply with different engines, running gear etc etc, the body and manufacture of such is exactly the same for each and every model, as far as the actual metal work is concerned.

im unsure how viewing the parts cd would explain the welding.... it wouldnt be a recognised 'part' as such.

to resolve the situation,id go back to the dealer, express your concerns and ask that he holds the car for a few more days whilst you research into it. he won't have a problem with it, he's got his deposit and for now, especially for a smaller dealer that should be enough. if it turns out that the welding is not the norm, you can go back, explain as much to the dealer and ask for your deposit back as the car is being sold under false pretence.

id suggest the best place to look would be a VW main dealer, take a look at as many boras and golfs as possible and see if the welding you refer to is found. if not... you know what to do :beerchug:

PS ----- Just an added though, the welding you described, is it the same colour as the rest of the internal bodywork? or is it a 'clean' silver ie fresh weld

My apologies. I forgot about the original thread regarding the 4motion. I agree with the point regarding holding the car past Wednesday to make further enquiries. I think a visit to the parts dept of VW is still in order as their parts CD will show a different part no. for the boot floor if indeed that is the case.
Your desciption now is a little more detailed and I firmly believe that what you are now seeing is not a weld but the seam sealer that is used to actually cover the seam weld. Is it of the appearence of an elastacine smear? If so,no worries. ;)

Eshrules
05-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I firmly believe that what you are now seeing is not a weld but the seam sealer that is used to actually cover the seam weld. Is it of the appearence of an elastacine smear? If so,no worries. ;)

good man, i didnt even think of that d'oh :Blush:

Teutonic_Tamer
05-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Just to clarify a number of issues, you need to remember that the boot floor pan on a Bora will be different to that on the Golf. Also remember that even just restricting the noseying to Boras alone, the boot floor is very different between front wheel drive and 4motion, as the rear diff and Haldex coupling takes up quite a bit more room.

So the OP really needs to restrict his comparisons with identical specced cars, and ideally of the same model year build. It is not unusual to find differences in manufacturing processes, as the model years progress on the same basic body style.

If the "seam" which runs accross the boot floor is squidgy, then it will be seam sealant. The key then, is to look for other seam sealant areas in the boot area, or under the bonnet (usually around the front chassis longitudinals, where they are welded to the inner wings), and see if it matches in appearance. Is it applied in the same manner? (is the one in concern raised and semi circular, whilst the rest are flat and wide), is the paint cover consistent (under the boot carpet, VW usually spray a thin coat of base colour, but do not laquer a clear cote), get a penknife and prod and prise it - if it lifts away easily, or feels different to the rest of the seams, then it is different, and would point to body repairs.

At the end of the day though, even if the car has had a repaired rear ender, that shouldn't automatically mean a walk-away. Providing you can be sure that panel gaps are all neat and consistent, the repair was done with genuine VDub parts, by an approved body shop, and the appropriate rustproofing was reapplied in the appropriate areas, thus maintaining the 12 year warranty, then it should still be considered for purchase. If the OP did ask the specific question of any prior accident damage, and the seller denied any; and the OP subsequently finds evidence to the contrary, then the initial contract of sale can legally be voided, due to misrepresentation. If the OP still wants the car, it is perfectly legitimate, and legal, to re-negociate the sale price!

Unfortunately, there arn't that many Bora V6 4motions around, so if the OP has his heart on one, then you have to be flexible with your search criteria - beggars can't be choosers, as the old saying goes!

HTH, rgds

Eshrules
05-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Just to clarify a number of issues, you need to remember that the boot floor pan on a Bora will be different to that on the Golf. Also remember that even just restricting the noseying to Boras alone, the boot floor is very different between front wheel drive and 4motion, as the rear diff and Haldex coupling takes up quite a bit more room.

So the OP really needs to restrict his comparisons with identical specced cars, and ideally of the same model year build. It is not unusual to find differences in manufacturing processes, as the model years progress on the same basic body style.

If the "seam" which runs accross the boot floor is squidgy, then it will be seam sealant. The key then, is to look for other seam sealant areas in the boot area, or under the bonnet (usually around the front chassis longitudinals, where they are welded to the inner wings), and see if it matches in appearance. Is it applied in the same manner? (is the one in concern raised and semi circular, whilst the rest are flat and wide), is the paint cover consistent (under the boot carpet, VW usually spray a thin coat of base colour, but do not laquer a clear cote), get a penknife and prod and prise it - if it lifts away easily, or feels different to the rest of the seams, then it is different, and would point to body repairs.

At the end of the day though, even if the car has had a repaired rear ender, that shouldn't automatically mean a walk-away. Providing you can be sure that panel gaps are all neat and consistent, the repair was done with genuine VDub parts, by an approved body shop, and the appropriate rustproofing was reapplied in the appropriate areas, thus maintaining the 12 year warranty, then it should still be considered for purchase. If the OP did ask the specific question of any prior accident damage, and the seller denied any; and the OP subsequently finds evidence to the contrary, then the initial contract of sale can legally be voided, due to misrepresentation. If the OP still wants the car, it is perfectly legitimate, and legal, to re-negociate the sale price!

Unfortunately, there arn't that many Bora V6 4motions around, so if the OP has his heart on one, then you have to be flexible with your search criteria - beggars can't be choosers, as the old saying goes!

HTH, rgds

i was just about to say all that..... tip of ma tongue it was :notworthy LOL

Teutonic_Tamer
05-03-2007, 07:01 PM
i was just about to say all that..... tip of ma tongue it was :notworthy LOL

;)

Nickyboy
05-03-2007, 08:21 PM
thanks again for all your input. From what you all say, it sounds like seam sealant. I recall it being black and semi circular, sort of tarmac like. I didn't get a chance to check if the same was applied around the other areas of the car. I didn't touch it but it looked squidgy. Not sure whether to take a punt or not. Apart from that, noting in particular alarmed me - the rest of the boot etc looked ok. It's difficult to get speak to other Bora 4motion drivers about this as they seem very rare.