PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) GT TDI 150

sugs04
04-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi All,
I took the plunge!:D

I picked a Golf 2003 GT TDI 150 (Mk IV) yesterday with 48,000 on the clock.
I checked code (ARL) and confirmed it is the 150. Thanks to all on here who explained how:beerchug:

It checked out well ( to my eye) and it test drove very well. I think this car could make me smile.

Now, I need some help on what I need to look out for on this car.

Does the:-
Cam belt need doing ( I'm abit confused if this is 40 or 60k)?
wishbone Bushes?
rear axel bushes?
anti roll bar?

Now I'm sorting insurance I have a few muppet questions
What standard is the factory fitted immobilizer? Should I select the option of other rather than thatcham?
I assumed the Alarm is standard and didn't check it - is it?:o
Any recommendations for insurance?

Should I get VW to give it the once over or is an independent/RAC check just as good at this mileage?

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

Sugs

yaktrebor
04-03-2007, 10:33 AM
If you give VW the reg. number and ask very nicely.... they should give you a printout of all the work they have ever done on the car.

I went to look at a car yesterday and the dealer had done this already and the list is very comprehensive.

Eshrules
04-03-2007, 07:36 PM
If you give VW the reg. number and ask very nicely.... they should give you a printout of all the work they have ever done on the car.

I went to look at a car yesterday and the dealer had done this already and the list is very comprehensive.

this only applies to main delears service however, if the work has been carried out, quite legitamatley at an independant, VW wont have any record of this :Blush:

Ok class, we all paying attention? see the writing in red for all answers

Hi All,
I took the plunge!:D

I picked a Golf 2003 GT TDI 150 (Mk IV) yesterday with 48,000 on the clock.
I checked code (ARL) and confirmed it is the 150. Thanks to all on here who explained how:beerchug:

It checked out well ( to my eye) and it test drove very well. I think this car could make me smile.

Now, I need some help on what I need to look out for on this car.

Does the:-
Cam belt need doing ( I'm abit confused if this is 40 or 60k)? on the early pds, interval is 40k, later ones, 60k. both, however, need doing every 4 years, even if the mileage is not reached, as well as the tensioner, as this is what normally fails not the actual belt. for peace of mind and the sake of the car, id stick to the 40k/4 years rule.
wishbone Bushes? -
rear axel bushes? -
anti roll bar? -

all 3 of these are things that should have been checked before you bought it, nonetheless..... if you take the car for a drive, keep all windows up and radio off, hear out for any slight quiet rattling, it wont always happen on bumps, could be slight variations in the road that cause it, if any quiet rumbling is heard, your anti roll bar bushes are likely to have worn. if your rear axel/suspension bushes are worn, you will know already, as you will hear a god almighty noise as you go over the smallest of speed humps.

wishbones/bushes tend to affect the handling, you will notice the car tends to skip a little and bounces quite a lot around corners.

for all of the above, any competant garage should be able to tell you what state these are in.

Now I'm sorting insurance I have a few muppet questions
What standard is the factory fitted immobilizer? Should I select the option of other rather than thatcham? standard, not thatcham, standard immos will have their own 'rating' with the insurance.
I assumed the Alarm is standard and didn't check it - is it?:o same as above goes for this, unless it is clear it has been replaced, all golfs from SE and above i beleive were fitted as standard with a remote alarm.
Any recommendations for insurance?

Should I get VW to give it the once over or is an independent/RAC check just as good at this mileage? depending on how rich you are, dictates where you go, personally i would try a decent independant, they are more likely to look for the golf specific faults, whereas AA/RAC will simply look at the car as a generic motor.:beerchug:

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

Sugs

sugs04
10-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. I got in touch with VW and they supplied the service history and all looks well.

It is setup for variable servicing from what I can gather. It looks like it has the right oil in it too.:o

Thanks

Sugs

Eshrules
10-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the replies. I got in touch with VW and they supplied the service history and all looks well.

It is setup for variable servicing from what I can gather. It looks like it has the right oil in it too.:o

Thanks

Sugs

what about the timing belt & tensioner dude?

sugs04
10-03-2007, 01:16 PM
what about the timing belt & tensioner dude?

We came to an agreement to have them replaced as part of the sale as it was almost 4 years old, so it should be good for another 40k or 4 years from now. :)

I was supposed to get the car this morning but this work was delayed and won't be finished until monday......just want to get the keys in my hand now....:(

Sugs