PDA

View Full Version : Speed rating

alogbe
26-01-2009, 09:40 AM
I have an Audi A6 2.7 TDI, mileage 50,000 when bought. It has Michelin Primacy tyres coded 225 55 R 16 95 Y, which will need to be replaced soon. I presume they are not the original tyres, but the code is correct according to the handbook.

My question is: why 'Y' ? The tyre code tables show the following allowable speeds:

code V = 240 kph
code W = 270 kph
code Y = 300 kph

My car's top speed according to Audi is 225 kph. Leaving aside the fact that I am never likely to drive at anything like that speed, is there any reason why I can't use 'V' or 'W' tyres if they are cheaper?

zollaf
26-01-2009, 11:27 AM
as long as the speed rating exceeds the top speed of your car then you are ok. you mustnt fit lower rated tyres, even if you never go over 70, as you may go to the continenent and test the max speed on an autobahn.

size12
26-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Sorry Zollaf your wrong on that score mate, or we would all be driving round on t rated tyres as the speed limit is 70mph and there good for over 100mph.

The fact is that you have to stick to the manafactures rated tyres any less and your insurance would be invalid you can go up speed ratings but NEVER down, Its not just the speed rating its the load too.

zollaf
26-01-2009, 10:35 PM
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyreinfo.html.
no im not.

size12
26-01-2009, 10:57 PM
From the same website.

Insurance companies might say that a vehicle should be fitted with the tyres having the speed rating recommended by the car manufacturer: but even if you fit Z-rated tyres for speeds over 150 mph they will not insure you if you drive in excess of 70 mph in this country!

It may say MIGHT but you bet your @rse that if you have a crash and have the wrong speed rating on your tyres your insurance will not pay out.

I know for the mot they just have to match on matched axles but lets face it the mot law is a joke at best.

zollaf
26-01-2009, 11:08 PM
totally agree, the mot law is a joke. now they cant fail a ball joint boot that has split, letting water in and the joint may fail at any time due to rust, but it cant br failed, only advised. looking into this tyre speed rating thing, you can fit any tyre to any car < in this country>. so long as you dont exceed its load or speed rating. so a big volvo t5 estate, capable of 150 mph, 5 people up and a boot full of junk, can be fitted with t rated tyres, but you cant load it up to the max manufacturers weight, as that would exceed the tyres weight limit, but your still legal.
i think the best thing is to stick with what the manufacturers put on, or do your own research on tut web, and if you do fit anything different, speak to your insurers first, and get it in writing from them that they agree to it.