PDA

View Full Version : Changing rear wheel bearing

boyo
25-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi,

My rear wheel bearing is knackered and im thinking of changing it myself. Euro car parts sell the rear hub complete for £60 so im going to pick it up tomorrow. How hard is it to change? Does anyone have a guide to doing it?

cheers,

warren

spartacus 68
25-01-2009, 10:44 PM
As it includes the rear hub - it's relatively straight forward. You'll need to remove the brake caliper including the carrier. Prize off the hub end cap. You'll see a split-pin (cotter pin) on the hub nut. Either straighten it or cut it to remove, discard this pin afterwards. The nut simply unscrews, followed by the thrust washer.

Clean the stub axle before reassembly. Use a good quality CV grease and coat the axle, then add the hub and push on. The grease should be worked into the bearing prior to this.

If the hub is on too loose or too tight you're going to have problems. Easiest way to check - is to add the wheel to the hub (only need 2-3 bolts to hold). Hand tighten the hub nut + 1/2 to 3/4 turn with ratchet. Hold the wheel at quarter to three position and rock forwards and backwards. There should be no lateral movement.

It should also spin freely. Tighten or loosen as necessary. When you're happy with the set-up, finally add the split pin (edges bent over the nut) to secure. Knock the hub cap back on with a rubber mallet.

I would check the wheel for play around 500 miles later to see all is well. Again, after any adjustment - use a new split pin.:D

boyo
25-01-2009, 10:49 PM
mate your a star! thanks for the descriptive reply- ill be giving it a go as it all sounds straight forward. What size is the hub nut?

Cheers!

nick-a6
26-01-2009, 10:46 AM
if its like my rear hub on my A6, the abs sensor sits in the middle of the hub and it was an absoulute booger to remove

boyo
28-01-2009, 07:09 PM
ive just picked up the part and theres a bolt with a very large allen key hole in it. How the hell does that work? Anyone?

:confused::confused:

nick-a6
29-01-2009, 10:52 AM
You need a very large allen key, i used a 12" piece of small diameter pipe on the end of the allen key for leverage.
Wouldnt hurt to soak the bolts in WD40 or similair for abit before you try to remove them.

In-hindsight i think for me removing the abs sensor before removing the hub might have been easier. if your abs sensors sits in the hub that is!