PDA

View Full Version : Coil problem

stevenlpearson
25-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Bought my 2nd Audi on Wednesday, traded my old 51 plate A4 2.0 SE petrol saloon for a 55 plate A4 Avant 2.0T FSI multitronic - was really pleased with the increase in power and all that but 36hours after purchase I broke down.

Emmisions light was flashing and ride was juddery so pulled over and waited 2 hours for recovery - Got the car back same day and it was a coil that had blown, on way home from garage the same thing happened again and its blown another coil.

Garage are going to change some wiring

Anyone had the same problem and how was it solved?

Cheers Steve

:mad:

towcestervag
25-01-2009, 06:51 PM
at my old dealer the clever twit cleaners steam cleaned the engines and wter got down in the coils cost the dealer loads

windyj
26-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I picked up a 55 plate A4 Avant last week and had exactly the same fault only an hour after driving off the forecourt again it was a coil pack am expecting the car back tomorrow

kenney
26-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi It would seem once one coil, packs it in,all four need to be replaced.

toff
26-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi It would seem once one coil, packs it in,all four need to be replaced.

I was going to say "it puts strain on the other coil packs when the car is driven for any distance with a faulty coil pack"

...but I imagine the coil packs are connected independently to the power source (not in series, not in parallel) so I can't imagine that one being broken would put strain on the rest.

..unless the charge generated for the faulty coil (which doesn't get used) somehow transfers to the next coil pack and spikes it?

Obviously I'm just an amateur speculating :p

Al.

windyj
28-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I was told by the salesman (here's my first mistake!!) that there was a bad batch of coil packs that were affected by heat transfer from the engine and Possibly some slipped through to some cars. As for a coli pack affecting the others I think they are individually linked to each spark plug lead so if one goes it shouldn't affect the others. I'm no expert so I could be talking crap of course!!