PDA

View Full Version : Golf MK4 Speedometer problem

loly2kn2
03-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first post. The speedometer on my Golf S 1.4 seems to flicker... I can just about tell the average speed of what im doing, but sometimes it just goes insane and starts going back down to '0' when im doing something like 60. I wondered if anyone knows what would cause this? It used to happen every so often, but now it doesnt stop!! it just starts going insane!

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Lawrence

bora(ing) nick
05-03-2007, 11:35 AM
i had this problem on a Nova i owned years ago, the speedo cable is like a wire that spins inside a sheath.
what happend on mine was that the inside wire had shifted further down the sheath and was only just catching the speedo gauge and soon the end got chewed and stopped working all together.

Get a new speedo cable fitted and all should be ok.

I fitted mine myself, took about 1 hour and most of that was because i had to get to the back of the gauge (taking half the dash out).

Nick

Eshrules
05-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first post. The speedometer on my Golf S 1.4 seems to flicker... I can just about tell the average speed of what im doing, but sometimes it just goes insane and starts going back down to '0' when im doing something like 60. I wondered if anyone knows what would cause this? It used to happen every so often, but now it doesnt stop!! it just starts going insane!

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Lawrence

hi and welcome to the forum :d try

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82

being a newbie and all, it's nice to learn abit about your good self :d

as for the problem, id say it was the speedo cable too, get a friendly mech or someone whos handy with a spanner to give you a hand, shouldnt be too difficult, hardest bit is getting behind that dash :(