PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt Begins!

bordercontrol
24-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, as of about 40 minutes ago, I am carless!

The citroen has gone and i can now begin looking for a nice A4 TDI. Wish me luck.

Oh, and is there anything in particular i should be looking out for?

Thanks, Ian

danclyon
25-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Well, as of about 40 minutes ago, I am carless!

The citroen has gone and i can now begin looking for a nice A4 TDI. Wish me luck.

Oh, and is there anything in particular i should be looking out for?

Thanks, Ian

Usual stuff I guess - here's what I've picked up from the folks on here:

Cambelt is 60k/4 years according to the wise ones on here.
Check the EGR valve, see if it's weeping oil (common issue).
Check the plenum chambers aren't blocked and have rusted through vital parts in the bulkhead (you like your brakes don't you?) Giveaway can be damp/moist carpets in the front (and if it's bad back) footwells.
On the avant check the rear wiper behaves itself and that the boot opens/closes cleanly - check it quite a few times as the boot lock solenoid could be on its way out if it fails to open reliably.
If you are buying a CVT (Multitronic) for gods sake get a good warranty as if it's not right they are a good challenge to get fixed. If you are, 40k gearbox oil changes are mandatory. Check for smooth pullaway and pull up - and that reverse engages properly (a couple of second delay is ok) and the gearbox can hold you in position on a slope both forwards and backwards without letting the car roll.

Some of the others will doubtless be along with more, but this should get you started.

:beerchug:

Dan.