PDA

View Full Version : Question Front suspension

BruceG
24-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know of a way to replace the front suspension LH side front transverse arm without taking the whole strut out of the car?

the Haynes manual I have details full overhaul of the strut on the bench

cheers

Bruce

BadgerBoy
24-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Bruce,

Sorry but not 100% sure which arm you are referring to - there are 4 in total on each side, 2 upper, 2 lower.

I have done all of them at time or another without removing the strut though I seem to recall that for the upper front arm, I had to undo the strut top bolts from the engine bay side so that I could drop the strut slightly to get the front arm mounting bolt out.

I think I had a few problems lining up the lower front arm too but perseverence and a bit of brute force got me there in the end!

Don't forget that you must tighten everything up with the cars weight on its wheels or else anything you replace will wear out in no time.

Just get in there, you'll figure it out!

BruceG
25-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Cheers

You answered my question.

I was specifiacally asking about the upper front and it is as I thought. I will have to release the top turret fixing from inside the engine compartment

Bruce

BadgerBoy
25-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Hey Bruce,

I seem to remember managing to do it without removing all the turret bolts; just remove two and slacken the third right off and you will be able to drop then twist the strut far enough to get the arm mounting bolt out. I think it was the turret bolt nearest the bulkhead/firewall that I left in place.

Doing it this way makes life a lot easier when you come to do the turret bolts back up as you haven't got to lift the weight of the strut at the same time.

Note, however, I am the king of bodge and not a professional mechanic and I deny all responsibility for when the strut drops off and lands on your foot!

Good luck mate.