PDA

View Full Version : A4 Taxi Driver, New to Forum, saying Hi!

bardass
23-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Hello Forum,
After getting attached to an Audi 80 many moons ago I`m now running a 98 Audi A4 1.9 tdi 90 bhp, 210, 000 miles.
I bought it on 195000, it having beeen well looked after (oil changes every 5000 miles, for instance) and it`s working very hard in very demanding circumstances.....frequently full of passengers, with mountains, sea air and floods common here!
I`ve had to do a lot to the car....a replacement gearbox, new clutch, bearings, a few erratic faults, some cured, some not. There are other Audi A4`s working here that have done even higher mileage, still going strong, and I get some good advice...but this forum appears invaluable, and I will over time share my experiences with you....and hope for feedback, and advice.

A couple of things on my mind right now....

1) Her handling on bumpy roads at high speed (above 60) is atrocious. I hope to cure this soon with new rear shocks, etc, but have heard the A4 is pretty notorious for this. Any thoughts? A taxi driver friend cays he cured his by buying a pair of stronger springs (for 80 quid off ebay) for the front.
2) The silencer vibrates at 1600 to 1800 rpm (and under load). I presume the turbo cuts in at 1600. Anyone else had this?
3)The windscreen is hard to keep clear when raining and full of passengers..especially on the drivers side. I have no air con. Vent blocked? Pipe somewhere loose? Any ideas?

Well...lots more to share and ask...but enuf for a first post!

Bardass.

weeleigh
30-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Hello and welcome!

Mountains, sea air, floods, ....where are you?;)

Anyway, good luck with fixing your car. If you post your problems in the relevant Audi section for the age of your car, I'm sure you'll get help.
I think the front suspension is prone to wear with mileage, new springs will definitely help.

bardass
31-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Hi weeleigh,
I`m near Aberystwyth, Mid Wales.

Re the faults....had it checked out thoroughly...the rear shocks are near the end of their life, and I`ve replaced several front suspension components.

The demister fault....well, having read the forum thoroughly, I will be taking the glovebox out tomorrow, hopefully to find and fix the problem.

Thanks for your reply,
Bardass.