PDA

View Full Version : Unusual noise in Golf Mk5 1.4L

rainsensor
23-01-2009, 04:56 PM
I have a 2004 VW Golf Mk5 1.4L petrol comfortline with 65,000km. A few weeks ago it developed an unusual noise.

It is a faint noise, like a high pitched whine or a kettle whistling. But it is a new noise, and was not present until recently. The noise is only audible at a low idle, when no other sounds are present in the cabin. It is a constant noise, and does not change pitch or volume at different engine speeds.

The noise seems to emanate from near the rear axle. While audible in the cabin, it is loudest from outside the car when listening near the rear wheels.

Here is a link to an audio clip of the noise. You may need to turn your volume up for this as it is faint, but the whine can be heard above the static.
http://www.houndbite.com/?houndbite=7156

Can anyone suggest what might be the cause of this noise? Has anyone experienced a similar issue? The car's performance has not been affected yet, but I would like to know what is causing this noise in case it precedes a larger problem, and because it bugs me. :)

kenney
23-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi I think it is the fuel supply pump

rainsensor
23-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Hi I think it is the fuel supply pump
Thanks kenny. Is this an issue you have seen before? If it is the fuel supply pump, should I be concerned? Could it lead to bigger problems if not rectified quickly?

kenney
23-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi It usually is a sign,that the pump is on its way out.

rainsensor
26-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I recall reading that running your tank low can damage your fuel pump (http://tankonempty.com/viewstory/71). Is this true?

If so, I am guilty of doing it a few times before I came across the idea. Perhaps this is the source of my car's malfunction?

kenney
26-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi I suppose it is possible,to be honest i have never thought about it.Thinking of the issue regarding the problems with fuel pumps on the PD engines.It could well be,that the temperature of the return fuel,is one of the reasons the pumps are failing.An interesting thought!