PDA

View Full Version : noisy EGR valve

caldirun
22-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Has anyone had a very noisy EGR valve, today mine sounds like a learner trying to play a sax, it has sputtered oil for 18 months maybe the diaphragm has given up the ghost now!
B5.5 Tdi, 100bhp

passat 130 tdi
22-01-2009, 10:11 PM
mine used to honk a bit like a DONKEY on start up for a while, its never done it since i cleaned it out.

caldirun
22-01-2009, 11:00 PM
mine used to honk a bit like a DONKEY on start up for a while, its never done it since i cleaned it out.
I like the description, I cleaned the induction system out last year but 30,000 miles may have clogged it up again, time to start stripping!

caldirun
24-01-2009, 05:51 PM
I like the description, I cleaned the induction system out last year but 30,000 miles may have clogged it up again, time to start stripping!
I bought a new EGR valve and stripped the inlet manifold and cleaned it out again, there was a slight deposit but nothing like the last time. I fitted the new EGR and replaced the vacuum hoses, none were worn through but some of the plastic ones were badly rubbed (I saw a post saying 3 mts would be enough to do this but I find I am 4 mts short to replace all the vac hoses, I will have to buy some more). I took it for a test drive and WOW the low rev torque is back to how it used to be when I cleaned it out before, it now pulls in 5th like it did in 3rd (but not much came out this time so it must be the EGR that has improved it)
If your EGR is spitting oil out don't wait for it to start honking change it and feel the difference.