PDA

View Full Version : I've bought a Polo for parts - what should I keep before dumping it?

farmamick
22-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone.

I've owned my 1043cc 96 Polo now for only 4 months, and never really had a problem with it.

I've just bought an identical one for the tyres - and got it very cheap. Now - what should I keep off it, before I drive it to the wreckers?

Alternator?
Radiator?
Starter?
Distributor?
Carby?

I dunno guys - I just want to know if there's anyone who'd suggest a few bits I should pull off before abandoning it.

Actually, is there anyone in Dublin/surrounding areas, that wants the beast?

Regards
Mick

bora(ing) nick
22-01-2009, 12:12 PM
It all depends on your car... and to be honest, only you can tell due to it's condition / History.

I guess it depends on how much room you have as well.

Murphy's law states (kinda) that if you keep the rest of the car and Bin the Alternator, then you will need an alternator.

Good Luck!

ilfdlab
22-01-2009, 12:17 PM
I would suggest pulling the gearbox, front wishbones, driveshafts & pedal box. When your finished pulling the bits off Summerhill spares in Coolock industrial estate will take it away for you (for free I think) Small thins like the light selector switch & light units are also handy to have. Where in Dublin are you ? Might be interested if your not going to take the above parts ? Thanks.:beerchug:

farmamick
22-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, its a bit like that. In my experience, Murphy's law is guaranteed to shaft me...

Oh well, I'll just take a few bits and pieces, and let it go. There's no room in the attic for the whole car!

farmamick
22-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I would suggest pulling the gearbox, front wishbones, driveshafts & pedal box. When your finished pulling the bits off Summerhill spares in Coolock industrial estate will take it away for you (for free I think) Small thins like the light selector switch & light units are also handy to have. Where in Dublin are you ? Might be interested if your not going to take the above parts ? Thanks.:beerchug:
Mate, i'm in Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire.

I defn don't want the enginge/gearbox, wishbones, driveshafts or pedal box. All of mine, as far as I can tell, are fine. Unless the CV's are on the way out - I'll be getting under my car this weekend.

I'll probably nick quite a few of the things that we all sort of want - alternator, starter, rear tail-lights, door handles.

Unless I can flog it off as a going concern - which I will probably try next week. It'll have 14" alloys on it, and will be drivable...

Will let you know next weekend or something - prompt me if I don't get back to you.

Mick

ilfdlab
22-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks Mick, it might be a bit far over for me to tow (I'm in Coolock) If you can't sell it most of the breakers will collect it from your driveway free.

farmamick
22-01-2009, 12:56 PM
No worries.

Ta