PDA

View Full Version : assistance required

dropin73
22-01-2009, 02:16 AM
I have an A4 Avant 03 1.9tdi. I awoke to a loud beeping (i can only assume this was the alarm). There were no indicators flashing and my central locking would not reset the 'beeping' nor would it operate the doors. I manually opened the door and the car started fine as if nothing was wrong. the interior light did not dim like normal but kind of pulsed as i took the car for a drive. no dash warning lights and no problems driving. manually locking the car only locked the front two doors but the back remained unlocked. the central locking not working has also meant the tailgate is locked. i do work very close to home and as such the car has performed quite a lot of short journeys. please help!!!:confused:

dropin73
22-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Update: using info from this site I managed to pull off the trim at the bottom of the door on the passenger side. Pulled up as much of the carpet as possible and found approx 3 inches of water meaning the convenience module under the carpet was submerged. I drained all the water out and mopped up the rest
The unit pulled out easily and there are 5 connectors inside when opened. I spoke to someone in the know and they said i didn't have to disconnect the battery. I pulled out the connectors and liberally sprayed WD40 on them.
In order to get to the innards of the module I had to break four tabs as they were glued. but after lifting several latches around the outside the circuit board came out easily. I rinsed/brushed off all the sediment from being submerged and rinsed/brushed with IPA (alchohol based solvent). I then used some circuit board cleaner all over the circuit board and finished off with WD40. I left it to dry infront of a warm radiator and then plugged it in.

This saved me £400. and restored my sanity. just got to dry out the car.

The reason it flooded was the drain holes one under the battery and one under the brake servo both just in front of the windscreen. The holes get bunged up with leaves grime etc and the water overflows and finds it's way into the car. you'll also get a waterlogged rear passenger footwell.

can't guarrantee this will work for everyone but I am glad i tried before parting with such a large sum of money.

Hex69
22-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Update: using info from this site I managed to pull off the trim at the bottom of the door on the passenger side. Pulled up as much of the carpet as possible and found approx 3 inches of water meaning the convenience module under the carpet was submerged. I drained all the water out and mopped up the rest
The unit pulled out easily and there are 5 connectors inside when opened. I spoke to someone in the know and they said i didn't have to disconnect the battery. I pulled out the connectors and liberally sprayed WD40 on them.
In order to get to the innards of the module I had to break four tabs as they were glued. but after lifting several latches around the outside the circuit board came out easily. I rinsed/brushed off all the sediment from being submerged and rinsed/brushed with IPA (alchohol based solvent). I then used some circuit board cleaner all over the circuit board and finished off with WD40. I left it to dry infront of a warm radiator and then plugged it in.

This saved me £400. and restored my sanity. just got to dry out the car.

The reason it flooded was the drain holes one under the battery and one under the brake servo both just in front of the windscreen. The holes get bunged up with leaves grime etc and the water overflows and finds it's way into the car. you'll also get a waterlogged rear passenger footwell.

can't guarrantee this will work for everyone but I am glad i tried before parting with such a large sum of money.

Welcome to the club :D

This has affected loads of Audis, Passats, and Superbs. Good job you found everything and managed to sort it out. :approve: