PDA

View Full Version : Flashing LED's

linners
21-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I have a set of 501's (sidelight) but they flash :mad:

Can anyone on here recommend a set of suitable LED's that work with the A4? I spoke to Ultra LEDs and the chap there didn't seem too clued up :confused:

TIA

GeorgeE
21-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I had the same problem. I installed a genuine towbar wiring kit (never again, but that is another story). One of our trailers has LED lights instead of normal ones and the Audi just flashed them. As I understand it they don't draw enough current so the bulb failure system gets confused. You could overcome it by adding a resistor in parallel to bring the current draw back up to that of a standard 5w bulb. If you assume the led draws no current tt would be about 28 ohms (27 is probably the closest you will get) but don't forget to make sure you get a 5w version or higher else the resistor will just burn out. Depending on the current draw of your LED bulb you can increase the resistance value/decrease teh wattage rating accordingly. Also, don't forget it will get hot as all the energy is being turned to heat.

I was going to build a frig box with resistors in but some git nicked the trailer so no point now...

a4suction
02-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Yep, I just had the same problem with some 501 LED's. Have either of you managed to get around the problem? No point having flashing side eh?!!!

GeorgeE
02-03-2009, 03:34 PM
As I said, the trailer was nicked from our compound so I didn't bother.