PDA

View Full Version : MMI issu - help!!!!

jcart05
21-01-2009, 02:39 PM
can anybody help? 2004 A8L

My MMI unit pops up (like it's supposed to), then after playing music for a second or two - i hear a pop/click sound from my rear passenger door speaker and the unit completly blanks out (but the screen stays up).

After restarting the system - this repeats!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue! i will say...over i have heard crackeling coming from that speaker in the past (prior to this issue)!

i just want to be armed before i go to the dealer!

Pav_A8
04-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi,

I think that I am facing a similar issue. It seems that the entire MMI is resetting itself every 3-4 seconds with a complete loss of sound. Even when I turn it off, I can hear a clicking sound from the back speaker - every 5 sec or so.

Did you have the same issue? How did you resolve it?

Thanks very much.

a8 tech
04-05-2009, 08:45 PM
you need to carry out a loop break test with vagcom,likely culprit dsp amplifier or phone control unit

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/optical-bus.html5798
Run the test and isolate the break,bypass the most connection and the mmi should reboot confirming the failed component or get it looked at by Audi

Pav_A8
04-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds a bit technical to me but I have a friend who has vagcom. I'll request him to take a look at it.

If it turns out to be a problem with the amplifier or the phone control unit, where are these parts located and approx how much do these cost to repair/replace? Just curious!

Thanks very much.

a8 tech
04-05-2009, 09:26 PM
The problem you will have if one of these components has failed will be enabling the new unit,Most bus which is the network used for mmi infotainment systems requires all control units replaced to be security unlocked online.The term used is component protection and its dealer only so i would suggest you identify the fault code and post the it with a copy of the loop break test and i will offer support.

Pav_A8
05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks - I'll get right on it. Let's hope that it is something that can be fixed easily.

Although the car is less than 3 years old, it has done more than 60,000 miles which technically takes it out of warranty (I think!). I don't know if the warranty rules are any different for electrical rather than mechanical faults.

Do you know if any dealer in London has a more generous approach when it comes to cars that are under time warranty but out of mileage warranty. I don't want to be in a situation where they carry out the work thinking that the car is under warranty and then realise that it isn't and present me with a big bill? Has anyone had any experiences with this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

a8 tech
05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
check with the dealer first and agree labour by the hour,i would say all should be diagnosed well within the hour and ask for some goodwill contribution if possible.

Pav_A8
06-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi,

I took your advice and ran the vagcom OBD loop test. The results are attached. I would be grateful for some advice/support.

Another thread mentioned that the 'MMI switch' could be faulty. Is this a possibility?

The OBD test shows quite a few errors. Is the failure of one component causing all these error messages to come up?

Thanks very much.

a8 tech
07-05-2009, 07:40 PM
telephone control unit is the cause as it has failed optical and electrical test.

Pav_A8
07-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I thought as much. I have a few queries regarding the telephone control unit:

1. Where it is located in the car.

2. Can it be repaired? If not, how much is the replacement and where can I buy it from?

3. Is there any way to bypass the telephone control unit so that everything else except the phone can function normally until I get the telephone unit sorted?

I don't know much about these systems so pls give as much detail as possible. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks very much.

a8 tech
07-05-2009, 08:26 PM
To by pass you need a most repeater (vas dealer tool)so its best to replace the phone control unit which you may find if your lucky on ebay but suggest dealer only.Cost £300 + and location under the carpet drivers front floor pan or possible passenger side.

Pav_A8
07-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks. Is there a website where I can find the part number I need to order by entering the car registration or chassis no.? Could find this out from Audi but I wanted to search for the part on ebay tonight.

cheers,

a8 tech
07-05-2009, 09:27 PM
try
http://www.vagcat.com/
looked on ebay none for sale,rare part