PDA

View Full Version : Can't calibrate steering angle

Bassman
20-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi,

I have had to pull out the steering column on my 2004 Passat to fix a very annoying squeak.

Putting it all back together I unfortunately wiped off my steering wheel alignment marks, but it must be pretty close as the car drives in a straight line with the wheel straight.

I now have the Engine Management light on and borrowing a friend's Vag-Com lead I read back:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 4B0-614-517.lbl
Part No: 4B0 614 517 H
Component: ABS/ESP allrad 1728
Coding: 04255
Shop #: WSC 05311
1 Fault Found:
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
37-10 - Faulty - Intermittent

So, I followed the guide on the Ross-Tech website to reset the steering wheel angle for cars with ESP http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/steeringangle.html

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. It runs the sequence and the ABS light comes on and off etc but I get an error with the rear left wheel speed as shown below:

Address 03: ABS Brakes (4B0 614 517 H)
10:10:10 Group 001: Wheel Speed
Adj. Steering Wheel Speed Front Left (G47)
Angle Sensor Wheel Speed Front Right (G45)
Not OK Wheel Speed Rear Left (G46)
N/A Wheel Speed Rear Right (G44)

Any ideas? I don't have the VAG COM cable at the moment as my colleague is not keen to lend it out overnight (£275 I am not surprised) but I can probably get it on Thursday again if I ask him tomorrow.

Thanks

Rob

Bassman
21-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I have arranged to borrow the cable again tomorrow (Thursday) and I am going to try measuring the steering angle and seeing what it is actually reading. I may then be able to remove and replace the wheel until I have it on the correct spline. Other than that I was also going to give the ABS sensors a clean to see if that helps, although they don't appear to be causing any faults except when I run the calibration sequence for the steering angle.

Puzzling!

adamss24
21-01-2009, 10:18 PM
I have arranged to borrow the cable again tomorrow (Thursday) and I am going to try measuring the steering angle and seeing what it is actually reading. I may then be able to remove and replace the wheel until I have it on the correct spline. Other than that I was also going to give the ABS sensors a clean to see if that helps, although they don't appear to be causing any faults except when I run the calibration sequence for the steering angle.

Puzzling!
Keep doing it ! Last time i done it took over 2 hours to work ! Ussualy, the log in code is not accepted by the controller. If the Traction control light goes off, drive the car right away ! The ABS light on its own will estinguish as soon as you drive off... Follow the instructions and check if the fault codes have dissapeared from the ABS controller, then you good to go !

Bassman
22-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Well it turns out it was much simpler than I thought!!

I had a look at the Ross Tech wiki and it suggested using the measurement block and examining group 005 which is the steering angle. Lo and behold a reading with the wheels and the steering wheel pointing straight ahead of -360 degrees!

I had not realised that the steering angle sensor is not like an old-fashioned airbag slip ring that will rotate indefinitely, but of course is a limited number of turns so the ESP system can determine how much lock you have on.

Whipped the wheel off, rotated it back 360 degrees and now it is fine without any need for re-calibration!

I feel I bit stupid, but I have learned a lot doing this, might even be tempted to buy the vag-com lead myself now as it is so useful.

Thanks

Rob

seninha
21-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Bassman:

I know that this is a year old topic but I'm having the same problem.
After removing the steeringwheel I need to re-calibrate steering angle.

Did everything it saids on Ross-tech wiki but had no luck.
Today I found this topic and after reading it I did a check and find out that I have also a -360.

That means I need to remove the steering and rotate the angle sensor.

Question that I need to have, do I need to rotate to the left (clockwise) or to the right??

Hope you remember :(

Bassman
21-01-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't remember which way as all I did was measure the angle with VagCom and then turn the wheel to see which way had it moving towards zero. Then I took it apart and rotated it.

If you have used VagCom to check it you should be able to use the measurement function to monitor the angle as you turn the wheel and then it will be simple.

Hope this helps.

Rob

seninha
21-01-2010, 11:49 PM
You are right.Just need to use VCSD and move the steeringwheel to see which way I need to go.How simple can it be:Blush2:

Thanks for your reply.Will try this tomorrow morning. :Blush:

kwempe
26-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Anybody trying to reset the steering angle sensor will almost always miss one final step and that is to drive the car very slowly for about 100 feet After completion. Driving at normal speed will result in the steering angle setting procedure not being complete and the light will stay lit. For some reason none of the manuals or setting procedures seem to mention this? This results in people trying for hours to complete what is a simple job once you know the last step!

danda108
28-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Bassman. I bought passat 2002 1.9 131hp. I think someone has changed the steering wheel on my car (previous owner perhaps ), and I also have the ESP light. I used WAG to diagnosed it and with testing this 005 it gives me that the wheel when straight 360 more, when I roll it on the right side 360* it gives me 0 . I am not english speaker so if you can in simple words explain to me so I can relate to the electrician what to do. What should we rotate? The sensor or the wheel.He sad that there is no point in rotating the wheel.What should we do? Please answer me here or on my e-mail koridor10 on gmail.com.Thanks in advance.