PDA

View Full Version : crash...wow

Flanders
02-03-2007, 09:47 PM
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11342&page=2

gresty
02-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Cannot belive my eyes. Had to study the pictures over and over again. He had someone looking down on him that day to walk out of that with barely a scratch.

RickT
03-03-2007, 12:25 AM
what can i say.....

RicKT

RickT
03-03-2007, 12:30 AM
also,.... do you think that was a write off??? or do you think a bit or filler would solve it?? :aargh4:

The thread states the guy got out... now thats one lucky guy!!

RicKT

Teutonic_Tamer
03-03-2007, 02:44 AM
also,.... do you think that was a write off???

Cat D, back on the road in three weeks ;)

The thread states the guy got out... now thats one lucky guy!!

Aye, more than one of his nine lives!

Eshrules
03-03-2007, 09:17 AM
:***:how the..... bugger me.... speechless isnt in it, i dont know whats more suprising, the fact he walked away or the state of that car.... im betting if it hadnt been a car with such substance, he probably wouldnt have walked anywhere

Teutonic_Tamer
03-03-2007, 10:43 AM
i dont know whats more suprising, the fact he walked away or the state of that car.... im betting if it hadnt been a car with such substance, he probably wouldnt have walked anywhere

Without wishing to detract from the structural strength of the RS6, I think the ONLY reason the driver walked, was purely and simply down to luck. Anyone in the front passenger seat would probably be in a wooden box, along with two of the three potential rear passengers. If the car had struck the tree on the drivers side, he would certainly be box-bound!

It truely is shocking though, and you have to remember, the BiB, and all the emergency services have to deal with scenes like that, virtually on a daily basis!

Tip of the day: if you are planning a big 'un - do it in a big strong motor!

Teutonic_Tamer
03-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Another thing which confuses me - if there was no one in the front passenger seat, howcome the passenger airbag deployed . . . discuss!

Eshrules
03-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Another thing which confuses me - if there was no one in the front passenger seat, howcome the passenger airbag deployed . . . discuss!

i thought all airbags deployed by zone, eg if the front passenger is hit,i thought it deployed by default? i didnt think they had sensors to detect passengers?

Teutonic_Tamer
03-03-2007, 11:45 AM
What structural strength ??????????

LOL, the pre-crash strength, granted, there's not much strength now!

What amazes me is how all the seam spot welds just popped apart like press studs. Why oh why can't they use full seam welds??? I know the B6 A4/S4, and the Golf V have continuous laser welding of roof panels, unlike that RS6, but underneath all the trim, you just don't know how they are stuck together?

Teutonic_Tamer
03-03-2007, 11:48 AM
i thought all airbags deployed by zone, eg if the front passenger is hit,i thought it deployed by default? i didnt think they had sensors to detect passengers?

Nope, they should have seat occupancy detectors, so if no bum on seat, no bouncy castle to appear from its jack in the box. Why do you thing most VAGs have the key slot in the glovebox to disable the passenger airbag!

Teutonic_Tamer
03-03-2007, 11:51 AM
They havent

Wrong . . .

hes just being a ***.

Make it plural, if you don't mind, I like to keep both hands busy! ;)

** duck in coming**

Caught! :D

Teutonic_Tamer
03-03-2007, 01:56 PM
As i said what structural strength :hitwithro

Yebut, to be fair, that RS6 must have been doing 3 figure speeds, and the tree would just act like a guillotine! Something has to dissipate the energy, and the tree hasn't been willing to share any !!!! :D

'Tis one of the reasons why WRC and BTCC shells are all continuously seam-welded, then the roll cage is added. Look at the spot welds per inch on the RS6, a five year old body shell (C5 basic design even older!), and compare it to Focusses and Moandeos!

I still know which ones I'd prefer to be in, should a big 'un occur! ;)

Teutonic_Tamer
03-03-2007, 02:06 PM
50/50

Not all have a switch to turn off ;)

Oh, very true - my S4 doesn't have the switch! :zx11: But both front seats, as well as the outer rears (if you have the optional rear side airbags) DO have seat occupancy sensors - which is why I questioned the pax bag deploying! He could have had a lappy or sommat on the seat though! :dunno: