PDA

View Full Version : LUK & Sachs Clutches 2.0Tdi.

LeeS
18-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi there - quick post for information, though some of you will no doubt know this already!

I've just had the pleasure of replacing the clutch & DMF on our '05 2.0 Tdi Golf GT, BKD engine. According to the dealer there are two available - LUK and Sachs and the car could be fitted with either.

Problem is because of an updated part number, the DMF for the Sachs assembly is £200.00 + more. The dealer didn't know if the units are interchangable as they've only ever swapped like for like, mainly under warranty.

Well, they are interchangable - I've just done it, but like I say it was the complete assembly.

Hope this is of use to anybody else facing the same expense!

Cheers, Lee

Ben
18-01-2009, 10:21 PM
thanks, i have a 53 plate 2.0 gt tdi also with a BKD engine, i'm also needing a clutch, what did yours cost all in? and with the combination of clutch and DMF was yours the cheapest option? and where did you get it done?

stuart
18-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I deal direct with LuK, from speaking to them, you are correct, VW did fit 2 systems, either LuK or Sachs....

If you are replacing the COMPLETE set up, i.e DMF and Clutch set, you can fit either system, they will both fit..

The problem is if you are only replacing a PART set up... you MUST find out whicj is fitted, you cannot fit an LuK clutch set to a Sachs DMF, and visa versa...

Ben
18-01-2009, 11:29 PM
i'm requiring to replace the whole setup, clutch and DMF. its been slipping for some time now, but it is only in higher gears. i think there may be some glazing. 66700 miles and counting.

in addition to clutch and DMF, i'll also be having an MOT and bringing forward its longlife service so its all done in one hit so i should hopefully save on some labour costs.

towcestervag
19-01-2009, 12:20 AM
the dealer should be able to tell if sach or luk clutch fitted the flywheel is a different shape on the edge round aspect=sach square aspect=luk this is the info dealers had when the two mass flywheel recall was about.
you can check this with undertray off only gearbox still fitted

LeeS
19-01-2009, 09:17 AM
thanks, i have a 53 plate 2.0 gt tdi also with a BKD engine, i'm also needing a clutch, what did yours cost all in? and with the combination of clutch and DMF was yours the cheapest option? and where did you get it done?

Got a trade deal from the dealer - the parts were just over £400.00, including bolts and transmission oil (oil not needed but I changed it while the box was out).

You'll notice 'I' - borrowed a ramp & did it myself, so no labour. Did check with the dealer though (because I can think of better ways to spend my Saturdays!) and it was £400.00 ish to fit - four hours plus.

Cheers

Lee