PDA

View Full Version : 97 polo drive shaft removal elp

audijay73
17-01-2009, 07:02 PM
:1zhelp: my other half decided to run her little polo out of water and oil thus causing a few problems like new thermostat & housing new water pump now its leaking oil from the sump but to enable me to take off the sump to replace the gasket theres one bolt i cant get to because of the drivers side driveshaft everything of on the wheel side of the shaft ,it just wont come out ive thougt of taking the allen key bolts off on the gearbox end of the shaft but this wouldnt gain me access to this one sodding bolt on the sump please can someone give me some advice cos i want her car back on the road cos im not a morning person and i cant give her a lift to work anymore :1zhelp:

Crasher
17-01-2009, 07:11 PM
With the car on the floor, slacken the 30-mm 12 sided nut from the centre of the hub (you must fit a new nut), raise the car (properly supported on axle stands) and remove the wheel, remove the 30-mm nut and then remove the bottom ball joint bolts (mark around them before removal to reduce any camber change and the bolts must be renewed) and then pull the ball joint out of the wishbone. Remove the M8 multi hex (the Germans call them XZN) inner CV bolts and then remove the shaft from the car. On the ramp with air tools, this takes me about 10 minutes.

audijay73
17-01-2009, 07:24 PM
thanks for the speedy reply but i need to get drive shaft out of the box any sugestions please cos removing the 8 bolts wont gain me access to the last sump bolt cheers jaylancs

audijay73
17-01-2009, 11:12 PM
done my mistake removing the bolts and moving shaft out of the way sump is off now but no sign of gasket do they have em or is it just gasket sealant :biglaugh: