PDA

View Full Version : tdi problems no power

wippy748s
17-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi i wonder if anyone can help me , my dad has a 2000 1.9tdi and we are having massive problems with it , it starting surging when at wot especially in high gears , it felt like the turbo was boosting up and then backing off , boosting up and backing off , this got gradually worse , i thought that perhaps it could be the maf so i swapped his with the one off my car and it still did the same , i also tried his on my car and mine ran fine, i have checked the overboost sensor and its fine, am i right in saying that if the car overboosts then it will go in to saftey mode till it is switched off and started again?.
The car has now lost lots of power , it no longer surges but just feels like you are driving with the hand brake on, its really bad, what is even odder if that if you accelorate flat out from the off and through each gear it is much better but if you are just cruzing and put your foot down not much happens, is it a possibility that the break light switch is faulty or the throttle pedal potentiometer? if so how yould you go about checking it, i am technically minded . we have had a diagnostics check and no fault codes were found.
sorry this is so long but any help would be much appreciated

discobarry
18-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I have a similar problem on an A4 but it's not as bad as your Octavia yet, i'm going to check it out this week.

I think it's a VAG problem so you could post this elsewhere as well as here. :)

STEWY L
18-01-2009, 10:18 AM
sure it's not the clutch?
it generally shows itself in the higher gears first.
regards,
stewy.

wippy748s
19-01-2009, 12:20 AM
sure it's not the clutch?
it generally shows itself in the higher gears first.
regards,
stewy.

hi , the clutch did go a few weeks ago but i changed that for a sold type one , over the weekend i had a lot of things apart and cleaned them, the car runs much better but there is still one problem, When in 5th gear and you put your foot down it will be fine then the next time you do it the car wont go anywhere (cant hear the turbo boosting) then the next time it will be fine, this is totally random sometimes it will sometimes it wont , i hear that these turbos tend to get gumed up and the vanes jam , has anyone had this problem with their turbo?

size12
20-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Are you getting exessive smoke or anything from the exhaust? turbo faults usually get a smoke signal from the over fueling. when was the last time that the fuel filter was replaced? A live fuel pressusre test would be good to rule out the fuel pump.

paul b
22-01-2009, 12:07 AM
I've replaced the turbos on these before. Not a tremendously difficult job.

First things first though, check the fat, black intercooler pipe (one end tracks to the EGR). This was partially disconnected on my van causing massive power loss and turbo surging. The metal lugs had worn, so it just kept working loose. It only had to be loose, and not fall away completely.

If the brake light switch was faulty, it would show a code. I'm pretty sure its not that!

Paul

leedspaul
30-01-2009, 05:32 PM
I bet its your turbo, I had the same problem myne, ring Turbo Clinic UK they explained what it was then sorted it out. Unfortunatly I haven't got there number but it will be on the internet.