PDA

View Full Version : Heated Wing Mirror Glass

Eshrules
02-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Something very strange and may not be the sort of thing anyone can answer, but....

i had a bit of a disagreement with a parked car few months ago, ended up having to replace the glass in my passenger side wing mirror, its blue tinted heated glass. now this morning, the glass on that side cleared within minutes, but the drivers side (which i assume is the origional glass) took aaaaaages to clear, almost as if its not heating properly, is this known to happen and just natural wear and tear on what i presume are heating elements in the glass?

RickT
02-03-2007, 10:19 AM
best thing to do is.... turn on the heated mirrors... leave for a few minutes and then touch the glass... You will notice if ones working or not then,.... (be careful as they can get pretty hot!!)

In regards to it failing wear and tear.... yes they do fail... best thing is to whip it apart and have a look.. check power etc..

RicKT

Eshrules
02-03-2007, 10:23 AM
best thing to do is.... turn on the heated mirrors... leave for a few minutes and then touch the glass... You will notice if ones working or not then,.... (be careful as they can get pretty hot!!)

In regards to it failing wear and tear.... yes they do fail... best thing is to whip it apart and have a look.. check power etc..

RicKT

will do, i mean, it does work, because it defrosts eventually, but takes about 10/20 mins depending on the frost, whereas the other is a matter of 5 mins tops....

my bros currently in the process of sending his golf back, trading standards, gearbox failed 6 times, recon fitted and still failed etc etc... quite handy in one way because ill be pinching all the bits like heated wing mirror glass LOL and swapping them for my duff bits :biglaugh:

Sam
02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
If you leave them in the heated position all the time they'll eventually burn out.

Replace the other one and bask in the glory of instant clearing

Eshrules
02-03-2007, 11:50 AM
If you leave them in the heated position all the time they'll eventually burn out.

Replace the other one and bask in the glory of instant clearing

just a quick question then, obviously if you leave them on all the time, when not needed, then yeah, i get that, course they will burn out, but theres no way to just operate the rear de-mister is there?.... since your heated glass comes on with your rear de mister..... isnt that a design flaw? your wing mirrors arent always frosted when you need to de mist your rear screen after all..... or am i being 'too' lateral in my thinking.

Sam
02-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Ah, the perks of owning a Passat!

I have the electric door mirror control knob.

It has three settings - Left - adjust left mirror, right - adjust right mirror and central - heated mirrors.

I thought, maybe wrongly, the Golf had the same system

Eshrules
02-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Ah, the perks of owning a Passat!

I have the electric door mirror control knob.

It has three settings - Left - adjust left mirror, right - adjust right mirror and central - heated mirrors.

I thought, maybe wrongly, the Golf had the same system
hang on......

ok, i do have the electric door mirror control... so basically, with the rear demister on and the knob in the middle, the heated mirror glass is on, if i move the knob from the centre, they wont be? is that right?

Sam
02-03-2007, 01:29 PM
hang on......

ok, i do have the electric door mirror control... so basically, with the rear demister on and the knob in the middle, the heated mirror glass is on, if i move the knob from the centre, they wont be? is that right?

Correct except for the rear-demister. I think mine work totally independently of that.

I leave my adjuster in the L position.

Eshrules
02-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Correct except for the rear-demister. I think mine work totally independently of that.

I leave my adjuster in the L position.

well... thats a bit of a downer.... mines been in the central position all the time.... i dont think mine works without the rear demister, ill have to check later and post back, never even thought of that TBH,cheers! :D