PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 Golf 1.5 Cabrio Misfire

divvyd
16-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Hi Guys I am Kinda new to this but have a reasonable technical knowledge but only with the newer models, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and has any suggestions on how to fix it!!

Basically I have a MK1 Golf Cabrio with a 1.5 Carb Engine, When I sit at constant revs of 3000 RPM on the motorway I seem to get a misfire after about 10 minutes, But if I stop and switch off for a minute it goes away and will drive fine until I drive at 3000 revs for a further 10 minutes, I have put it down to fuel freezing in the carb due to the recent cold weather and the cold air rushing into the vehicle at speed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may solve this???
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/photo.php?pid=1976008&id=593145773

zollaf
16-01-2009, 10:51 PM
the carb may be sucking in cold air, rather than hot air from the exhaust manifold. theres a pipe from the manifold heat shield to the airbox that must be intact. the diverter flap is thermostatically controlled at the airbox, and often siezes in the cold air position. this flap is vacuum controlled. make sure the flap can move. if it can, make sure it is getting a vacuum.its probably stuck, so stripping and lubing may work.

divvyd
16-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks for your reply!! So you would agree then that I am stabbing in the right area of fuel freezing???

zollaf
16-01-2009, 11:01 PM
i had a mk 2, and in cold weather she was a bitch, would run for 10 mins then slowly loose power. stop for a few minutes and off she went again. the diverter flap was seized. if you drive it while its loosing power, then pull the air inlet off the carb real quick, you should see ice in the carb. deffo sounds like your problem.you can bypass the stat, and put a permanent vacuum to the flap, or like i did, use a screw to hold the flap, so its drawing hot air. you may just need a new flexi, heat proof pipe.

divvyd
16-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Cool I have reattached the hot air pipe so it must be the flap will have a look tomorrow and repost!! Thanks for your help. My MKII did it too!!

divvyd
17-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Hey I have tried what you mentioned and so far so good no misfire!! Cheers matey!!