PDA

View Full Version : Where has my power gone??????

markram
16-01-2009, 01:43 AM
I own a 1.8t with 195k on the clock, all original execpt air flow/temp meter. it starts and runs very well, but the other day i joined the motorway and noticed a BIG drop in power. it drives fine upto 3k rpm, then it really takes its time ( over 12 secs to hit 55 even though i was already doing 30)!!!
The engine sounds fine on tickover and at speed . but have noticed fuel consumption is not great.
There are NO warning lights on, No smoke from the rear and regulary serviced every 7k, the plugs are only 3 months old, new air, petrol & oil filters. And no money till pay day in 3 weeks to get it checked out.!
Cheers.

aprildavy
16-01-2009, 03:41 PM
I've had similar symtoms twice on my Passat TDI 110hp, 1997. Lack of power on overtaking, terrible uphill performance, worse on steep hills, and a definte drop going past a similar rpm. It seems to come on quite suddenly. Car starts fine, acceleration okay until about 3rd gear, then pause and baerly no more power. In both cases the AIR FLOW MASS SENSOR METER had to be replaced. This is a fat black tube with the sensor embedded in it which in the TDI is between the air filter box and the air intake to the engine proper. It's very easy to change over. I think I paid about £65 for the exchange part at the VW dealer - this is a common problem I understand - this may be the cause?

markram
17-01-2009, 02:28 AM
cheers for that, i thought the same thing but,the last time the air mass meter went faulty the car ran really bad and was spluttering under any sort of acceleration,now it runs smoothly but just no guts!(couldnt even overtake a 1.5d corsa up hill,:1zhelp:

markram
23-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Just had a diognostic done, fault code was somthing to do with the oxegen (lambda) sensor, readings are erratic even at idle. The TURBO is NOT kicking in.The guy is going to get back to me asap as he is not to sure if the fault shown would do that or has the turbo gone ( would it smoke if it had)?, does anyone else have any ideas? cheers.

calum
23-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi markham , the ECU won't be able to fuel the engine properly because it relies on the lambda sensor to correct the fuelling , hence the lack of power , it's probably in limp mode because it can't fuel properly . hope this helps , Calum .