PDA

View Full Version : Question Update MMI firmware from 2120 to 5150

Pav_A8
13-01-2009, 10:41 PM
I have recently purchased a 2006 A8. There seems to be a problem with the navigation. When a new destination is entered, the unit calculates the directions correctly. However. whilst the correct directions keep showing on the speedo behind the steering for the duration of the journey, the map on the main screen stays fixed while the moving car leaves the screen! Has anyone had a similar problem? Is it just a setting that i don't know about?

The car is less than 3 years old but has done over 60,000 miles. Do you think the above problem with the nav could be sorted out by the dealer under warranty or because of the mileage, they will charge me?

The car currently has an MMI version 2120. Do you think an update to 5150 would fix the problem. I have 5150 on CD but i don't know the process to update the software. Step by step instructions here would be very much appreciated. I have read some horror stories of irreversible damage to the MMI hardware if the voltage drops during the update process. Is this true? How can one avoid this (other than by going to the dealer!). Also, i have heard that one needs vag-com to finish the update process. Again, is this right? If it is - how to i get my hand on it and what needs to be done on it>

Thanks

a8 tech
13-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Vag com stuff first go to address 07 and then go to adaption channels
from channel 1 up to 111 record any figure recorded in these channels
so if channel 11 has a value of 6 then note this down.

ignition on turn everything off but the mmi don't turn anything on whilst the update runs

Now connect a battery charger to the battery and remove all the cds from the 6 disc in the glove box

insert your 5150 disc in position 1

wait 10 seconds

select radio

press set up and return at the same time and hold down until the hidden menu is displayed

this will show you the disc is loading and then the the index screen will display installed components

using the rortary knob select update and follow the prompts until the update starts and then let it run

After about 1 hour it should have completed and the display will show you the components successfully updated or not updated and ask to restart the system
if one or more components failed to update then re run the update

Go back to vag com address 07 and renter the adaption values and restart the mmi again.
check everything works and run a fault code scan then erase the faults turn the ignition off and on and rescan and check everything works.

tip buy the 2009 sat nav disc to get the best from the mmi system and also fix some of the early bugs as the sat nav isn't updated by this method but by the sat nav cdrom itself

vag com (dont buy the lead from flebay) http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VCHUC&Category_Code=IC
i recommend http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html