PDA

View Full Version : Question Is it safe to drive once the brake servo has got wet through blocked plenum chamber?

gy23
12-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Hi
my 2001 passat experienced a hard brake pedal during the recent cold spell. The garage tells me it was a build of of water in the plenum chamber that caused atwr to ingress into the servo. (The car jas also been damp inside for a few months now) The garage said no real issue with brakes and that they would clear the drain hole in the chamber
My question - is it OK to drive, especially on the motorway, now that they have cleared the drainhole and released the eater. Is there a chance the servo / braking system could already be damaged?
Thanks
GY

Hex69
13-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Read this

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=57984

HTH :mad:

gy23
13-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks Hex69
I did read that post initially but I am still unsure of what the risks are of using the car after this has occured?? Should I simply have the servo replaced at a significant cost or will it be OK now that the water has been removed?

Hex69
13-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks Hex69
I did read that post initially but I am still unsure of what the risks are of using the car after this has occured?? Should I simply have the servo replaced at a significant cost or will it be OK now that the water has been removed?

Unless you know what state the internals of the servo are like, I wouldn't risk it and would have it looked at professionally. At least you have the knowledge now to talk to them about it.

geoffdragon
14-01-2009, 01:35 PM
2001 tdi. Same symptoms, Frozen brakes, on the way to local dealer to discuss issue, servo failed and I nearly had a big accident. Dealer took servo off and told me plenum chamber and servo full of water and master cylinder corroded, this only 4 months after the plenum drain recall was carried out.
can you trust vw to look after your car - mine has full history and only 81000 miles?
Have spoken to vw customer services, they say its not their fault - its the previous owners responsibility. have since e-mailed them twice and written.
No response. Maybe Watchdog next ?
Best of luck
Geoff