PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Audi 80 TDI niggles

moaning
12-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Just bought an 80 in exchange for my Volvo 940 in a bid to gain some economy, so new to Audi. I basically love the car and looking forward to sorting out some of the niggles. Anyone shed any light on these?

Terrible smell of raw diesel when in traffic, only when warmed up
Wipers don't park
Temp gauge never makes it past 50 degrees, but the heater works not bad
Fuel gauge varys widely
small pipe connection on top of turbo intake doesn't go anywhere, pipe perished?

The cars done 115K starts on half a turn and runs pretty well, although economy never more than 39 m.p.g even if very careful.

Many thanks hope this isn't too much. but should be good when I get these things sorted..

John

micheal balbrig
12-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Just bought an 80 in exchange for my Volvo 940 in a bid to gain some economy, so new to Audi. I basically love the car and looking forward to sorting out some of the niggles. Anyone shed any light on these?

Terrible smell of raw diesel when in traffic, only when warmed up
Wipers don't park
Temp gauge never makes it past 50 degrees, but the heater works not bad
Fuel gauge varys widely
small pipe connection on top of turbo intake doesn't go anywhere, pipe perished?
The cars done 115K starts on half a turn and runs pretty well, although economy never more than 39 m.p.g even if very careful.

Many thanks hope this isn't too much. but should be good when I get these things sorted..

John

Smell of diesel could be leaking hoses that connect across injectors (leak off pipes) They are approx 3 mm ID and you can purchase a length of same from motor factors.

You should get 45 / 50 Mpg replace air filter as first job

I think wiper problem may be the motor unit

Temp should be about 90 Maybe thermostat is missing/faulty

The small pipe does not go anywhere it is normally blanked off

zollaf
13-01-2009, 01:24 PM
the varying guages could be the voltage regulator onthe back of the dash panel. you need to remove the instrument panel, and resolder it, as its probably got dry joints.

moaning
13-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Many thanks for these replies. I think someone I met mentioned about the air filter

Keep up the good work thanks again

John

moaning
24-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Many thanks for the help on these niggles. I'm really getting there and now hoping for a bit better fuel consumption.

Thermostat changed temp now sits at 90 deg
Fuel leak off pipes and all pipes in engine bay replaced, diesel smell gone.
I've capped off the pipe on top of the turbo and now there's a bit more bottom end power

Next thing- Radio doesn't switch off with ignition. Found an unbelievable mass of wiring (Radio Blaupunkt San Remo). Reduced it down to 2 ISO connectors. Am I right in thinking that there is no switched live feed to either of the connectors. The black one just has 1 permanent live feed? Radio doesn't work at all if you plug these 2 connectors in without all the bodged knitting!

Still waiting for a workshop Manual. I've already waited a couple of weeks for a couple of DVDs from 'www.electronicmanuals.co.uk (http://www.electronicmanuals.co.uk/)' They say they are in the post.

micheal balbrig
24-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Many thanks for the help on these niggles. I'm really getting there and now hoping for a bit better fuel consumption.

Thermostat changed temp now sits at 90 deg
Fuel leak off pipes and all pipes in engine bay replaced, diesel smell gone.
I've capped off the pipe on top of the turbo and now there's a bit more bottom end power

Next thing- Radio doesn't switch off with ignition. Found an unbelievable mass of wiring (Radio Blaupunkt San Remo). Reduced it down to 2 ISO connectors. Am I right in thinking that there is no switched live feed to either of the connectors. The black one just has 1 permanent live feed? Radio doesn't work at all if you plug these 2 connectors in without all the bodged knitting!

Still waiting for a workshop Manual. I've already waited a couple of weeks for a couple of DVDs from 'www.electronicmanuals.co.uk (http://www.electronicmanuals.co.uk/)' They say they are in the post.

I think these radios are on a direct feed at least any that I had
were independent of ignition.

On another note. improvements to performance and thus probably economy can be gained by decoking inlet manifold
and flange and inlet ports as they regularly tend to block up
thus restricting air flow. This is a job for warmer weather.
If you decide to tackle same check all hoses and wastegate
valve and valve at front for oil entry at same time

moaning
26-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks Micheal, I think your'e right there doesn't seem to be a feed via the ignition switch on these cars. I suppose I could take a switched feed from somewhere else, like the blower motor.

The Decoke sounds interesting, although I'd rather hoped not to have to dismantle the engine for a while. Its only done 116K and seems in pretty good shape.

Its quite depressing what we throw out, there is a 2000E in my local scrappy's with only 72K miles, the bodywork is like new. Its a V6, so maybe these engines aren't reliable.

I'll be happier once I get a new MOT in couple of weeks. I'll need to sort a split CV gaiter and the handbrake, before then.

John