PDA

View Full Version : Question sEAT lEON tURBO FAILURE

NikSeat
12-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I have a 2004 1.9TDI Cupra with a blown turbo.
Car had 8,000 mile as an ex-demo at new and is now at 64,000 miles.
Car has full Seat service history and will cost £7,100 to repair turbo, intercooler , engine block , catalyst etc...
Does anyone know why an immediate catastophic failure would occur in a car with this mileage and full service history?
Seat have 'kindly' offered £2,000 towards repair but trying to establish fault for someone to repair for free!!!!.

Crasher
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
This will be an ARL 150PD engine then. I have seen a few ARL turbo’s explode and cause this level of damage, one was a forum user a few months back and his bill wasn’t much less than you are being quoted.

NikSeat
13-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Crasher, thanks for the respose.I have since bought a new Leon FR TDI which hopefully has a more stable configuration.
My main aim with the old one is to get someone to pay to fix it so I am looking for known failure reasons that I can use as evidence.
For example I have read that re-maps of the ECU can over exert compnents and if this is the case I can get the garage to check if it has been re-mapped. Do you know if this easy to check? My other option is to get the turbo off and have it independently checked?

Crasher
13-01-2009, 02:18 PM
The last one I did that had suffered from an exploded turbo had been viciously over re-mapped. When I put it back together and road tested it, it was uncontrollable so we resorted to a basic map. Finding out if it has been re-mapped can be extremely difficult. Often the only way is to rolling road the car and then do it again on a standard ECU and that process is time and money consuming.

NikSeat
13-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Obviously this isn't an option as the car needs a complete re-build to even test it, at which point it's academic! Do you know if the turbo on the FR has been upgraded or is more reliable? My original Seat had 150 BHP and the new one 170, which makes me question the reliability aspects again!

Crasher
13-01-2009, 02:42 PM
The new Leon FR uses a completely different engine and turbo.

Robifumi
14-01-2009, 07:54 PM
we had a Skoda Octavia 1.9 105bhp hire car blow a turbo in Czech Republic last year, only had about 300km on the clock