PDA

View Full Version : a4 Avant 98 Towbar Electrics

MikeA4tdi
12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
I have just bought a second hand tow bar which looks straight forward to fit.
I need to sort out the wiring, I'll only use the tow bar once or twice so wandered if I needed the bypass relay.

I don't mind if the the computer tells me I have a lamp out, I'll be using it so infrequently. But if it will actually do damage I'll fit the relay

Out of interest I can by a vehicle specific kit for £60 woudl this still need a relay or is it plug in and forget with no running of a power feed etc.

What the technique for attaching the additional wires from the rear light clusters? are there special connectors?

Thanks

Mike

Hex69
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I have just bought a second hand tow bar which looks straight forward to fit.
I need to sort out the wiring, I'll only use the tow bar once or twice so wandered if I needed the bypass relay.

I don't mind if the the computer tells me I have a lamp out, I'll be using it so infrequently. But if it will actually do damage I'll fit the relay

Out of interest I can by a vehicle specific kit for £60 woudl this still need a relay or is it plug in and forget with no running of a power feed etc.

What the technique for attaching the additional wires from the rear light clusters? are there special connectors?

Thanks

Mike

I've just used the connectors to the rear lights in my Passat (can't imagine there's much difference to an A4), they come with ScotchLock connectors, simple to fit.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/productimages/s4/4015685.jpg

MikeA4tdi
12-01-2009, 03:52 PM
They look nice and easy ot use.
I think my scrapyard towbar came with some of these wires and a buzzer box.
Would like a definative answer reference the by pass relay.
I only need the tow bar for one journey hence wanted the cheapest solution possible.

adamss24
12-01-2009, 04:57 PM
They look nice and easy ot use.
I think my scrapyard towbar came with some of these wires and a buzzer box.
Would like a definative answer reference the by pass relay.
I only need the tow bar for one journey hence wanted the cheapest solution possible.
Hi, you only need the bypass relay IF you have the Driver Info System. If you dont, then use scotch-locks as it wont trigger the warning lights but it might make your car lights dim a bit as its more power drawed from the suplying relay !