PDA

View Full Version : Question Is mer any good ? Is it a polish or wax ?

nutter1980
12-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi, All.

I would like to wax my car and my old man keeps saying I should use this Mer stuff. Is this as good as using a wax ?

Any opinions on this product.

johnwintle
12-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Jack of all trades and master of none!

Let the old man use it and use something better. You will get better results with a separate paint cleaner/polish and a wax. It just depends on how far you want to o and how much time/£ you want to spend.

Some of the Meguiars stuff is OK or give the RacGlaze Creme Perfection a go. won't stain any plastics and will give a very good result. Might even get the old man using it...
Don't use the AutoGlym super resin polish as its really dusty and will stain any black plastic work that it touches.

elitedetailer
26-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Hi, All.

I would like to wax my car and my old man keeps saying I should use this Mer stuff. Is this as good as using a wax ?

Any opinions on this product.

Forget your mer!

Something like this kit is far superior and will last you years.:

http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=113&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2

Regards
EliteDetailer

nutter1980
19-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Forget your mer!

http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=113&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2

Regards
EliteDetailer

That looks great however what sort of process do I follow, Eg wash polish wax, etc.

I usualy just wash it and then use mer to polish up, car is also suffering from swirls everywhere, And there is zero chance of me buying a machine to polish them out "credit crunch britain lol"

elitedetailer
20-02-2009, 07:47 PM
That looks great however what sort of process do I follow, Eg wash polish wax, etc.

I usualy just wash it and then use mer to polish up, car is also suffering from swirls everywhere, And there is zero chance of me buying a machine to polish them out "credit crunch britain lol"

Hi Nutter,

If you haven't clayed your car before then it will definately benefit from this also. There is a guide here as well as links on what to buy: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56072

So in order of the initial application:

Wash
Clay
Wash or rinse depending on how much crud comes off.
Dry
Zaino AIO
Zaino Z2
Zaino Z6

Weekly washes:
Wash
Dry
Zaino Z6 (takes 5-10 mins)

Monthly/bimonthly or whenever you want to wax
Wash
Dry
Z2
Z6

Regards
EliteDetailer :beerchug:

Autostadt
07-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Forget your mer!

Regards
EliteDetailer

Would this kit be ok for a dark coloured car?

I mistakenly used Mer and now every little tiny chip in the paint has turned white. Looks horrible!

Christian6984
10-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Would this kit be ok for a dark coloured car?

I mistakenly used Mer and now every little tiny chip in the paint has turned white. Looks horrible!

I used Mer once many years ago (it was a pain), Zaino seems to work very well on dark coloured cars, if the Mer doesnt wash out of the chips you could spray APC on and leave to dwell for a few mins and rinse. Stone chips will tend to catch wax in the edges, and may look ok when you apply but as it cures will turn white. An alternative maybe Zaino CS which dries clear with no need to buff off.

Autostadt
10-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks for that Christian. The Zaino CS sounds just the job.

bohoo
10-05-2009, 09:25 PM
hi all just tried that new ice liquid wax. well pleased and it will also shine the black trim only took about 15 mins. i then used tyre gel ultra on wheels and back to black to finish trim leaves the car looking like new.

curiousgeorge
03-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Mer is OK, but I prefer Frankincense.

dimucci
08-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Forget the products that cost an arm and a leg!! I have used Mer for years and found the polish very good. I have recently used the new Turtle Wax Platinum range and Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine: also found these very good. Halfords sell all you need!

elitedetailer
08-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Forget the products that cost an arm and a leg!! I have used Mer for years and found the polish very good. I have recently used the new Turtle Wax Platinum range and Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine: also found these very good. Halfords sell all you need!

Hi

I wouldn't class £15ish as an arm and a leg when it will last you a few years. Thats about £5 per year with something that will out last and out perform Mer on every level. Everybody works to their own standards and if your happy with Mer then thats great.

One thing I know for certain, I do not know of anybody that has gone from Mer to Zaino or any other decent product but I know many people who have binned their Mer after using Zaino etc.

I believe when you have tried and tested the products and then make a judgement. Autoglym wipes the floor with Mer, we also stock Autoglym, but we would recommend Zaino over the Autoglym all day long when it comes to sealing the paintwork.

However, if your happy with Mer/TurtleWax then thats great also. :beerchug:

Regards
EliteDetailer

dimucci
08-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi

I wouldn't class £15ish as an arm and a leg when it will last you a few years. Thats about £5 per year with something that will out last and out perform Mer on every level. Everybody works to their own standards and if your happy with Mer then thats great.

One thing I know for certain, I do not know of anybody that has gone from Mer to Zaino or any other decent product but I know many people who have binned their Mer after using Mer/Turtle Wax.

I believe when you have tried and tested the products and then make a judgement. Autoglym wipes the floor with Mer, we also stock Autoglym, but we would recommend Zaino over the Autoglym all day long when it comes to sealing the paintwork.

However, if your happy with Mer/TurtleWax then thats great also. :beerchug:

Regards
EliteDetailer

I wasn't referring to your firm in particular, of whom I have no experience. I have since had a peek at your web site and it looks informative. What I was stating was my own experience and having in mind the old adage regarding "The Emperor's Suit of Clothes".
By the way, your second paragraph doesn't make much sense, although I think I have the gist!

curiousgeorge
09-07-2009, 07:32 AM
I wasn't referring to your firm in particular, of whom I have no experience. I have since had a peek at your web site and it looks informative. What I was stating was my own experience and having in mind the old adage regarding "The Emperor's Suit of Clothes".
By the way, your second paragraph doesn't make much sense, although I think I have the gist!

Can you tell us what expensive products you were referring to then, so we can avoid them?

Eshrules
09-07-2009, 08:35 AM

you're flogging a dead horse from the looks of it.

if you want to buy cheap(er) products, apply them to your car and you're happy with the result, stick to it.

But what I can't stand is people criticising those who choose to experiement and spend a little more on products used. I can assure you, detailing products aren't any more expensive than the typical bottle of turtle wax or autoglym. (in the main)

I think it'd be appreciated by the OP if you could leave the thread on topic now.

thanks ;)

dimucci
09-07-2009, 11:53 AM
you're flogging a dead horse from the looks of it.

if you want to buy cheap(er) products, apply them to your car and you're happy with the result, stick to it.

But what I can't stand is people criticising those who choose to experiement and spend a little more on products used. I can assure you, detailing products aren't any more expensive than the typical bottle of turtle wax or autoglym. (in the main)

I think it'd be appreciated by the OP if you could leave the thread on topic now.

thanks ;)

A somewhat techy and intolerant over reaction to someone who is offering an alternative viewpoint, in what was intended as a light hearted manner. How was answering the original poster's question with my own opinion "off topic"?

hongkongstuey
13-07-2009, 10:50 AM
used to use mer in my youth, prob about 1995 ish, was a good finish but was dead pricey, now there are that many products i just generally stick to autoglym for the wash and autoglym for the wax and every now and then i'd clay the car, no point in doing it every time in my opinion. depends what finish you are after and what car/colour you have, black cars obviously show up everything, never having another one!! :aargh4: