PDA

View Full Version : cylinder head cam cap joint

kib
11-01-2009, 11:45 AM
hi new to the forum, just had the wifes 1999, 1800t 20v, into vw for an oil leak, it was diagnosed with a cylinder head cam cap joint leaking, i would like to know where is it located and is it a easy fix, also they said the water pump is noisy again is this easy to get to
thanks kib

kib
12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
anybody

Crasher
12-01-2009, 12:13 PM
The cam cap leak is reasonably easy to deal with but usually it is so minor it isn’t worth bothering with.

The water pump must be replaced as soon as possible, if it collapses it will write off the top of the engine instantly and a cam cap leak will be the least of your worries.

kib
12-01-2009, 01:23 PM
thanks crasher

scob5
12-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Coolant pumps are relatively easy to replace, but a little time consuming because of what needs removing.
I replaced mine with a genuine VAG item from VW. These are an exchange unit.
There must be a design fault as mine has started making a noise after only being fitted for just over a year! Damn warranty has just run out! :mad:
They use a plastic impeller on AEB engines which I hear also gives problems.
I know you can purchase a metal impeller version. I think from GSF car parts, but I've got to contact them to verify this.

Crasher
12-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I still use the genuine ones with the plastic impeller. GSF ones have metal impellers but don’t tend to last as long in the bearing department.