PDA

View Full Version : Question Audi 80 rear speakers

Aders
10-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Help!! The rear speakers in my Audi 80 2.0 16v have stopped working. If I fade the sound to the rears I can hear a very faint sound and thats it. Wiring behind the stereo looks ok. Any Ideas??:biglaugh:

zollaf
10-01-2009, 06:36 PM
if you can hear them then the wiring must be ok. it sounds like your stereo may have met its maker. i would try swapping the wiring round and try the rear speakers with the outputs for the front, and front speakers to the rears. if the rears now work and the fronts dont, then its the amp in the stereo. alternatively have you got another stereo you can borrow to try?

micheal balbrig
10-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Help!! The rear speakers in my Audi 80 2.0 16v have stopped working. If I fade the sound to the rears I can hear a very faint sound and thats it. Wiring behind the stereo looks ok. Any Ideas??:biglaugh:

Another thing to look at is the copper braided cable that
connects to the speaker diaphram it sometimes corrodes, like chemical reaction. It is sometimes possible to solder in new piece

Aders
11-01-2009, 12:30 AM
I thought it was the stereo and have just fitted another I brought on ebay but same problem. When I fade to the rear and turn the volume up and can hear a tinny sould so posibly only the teeters working?? I have also ruled out the connections to the rear speakers as both stopped working at the same time. Any other possibilities??? Thanks

zollaf
11-01-2009, 12:18 PM
strange. the speakers are on two seperate circuits, one for each, so for both to go down together there must be a common link. its not the amp on your stereo, and thats the only link, unless someone has added an amp into the wiring for them and this is playing up. i would trace the wires and see if you can find one, or get two lengths of cable and run these from the stereo to the speakers and see if that kicks them into life. only a temporary cable, just go over the seats. if this works, then i bet theres an amp in there somewhere.

Aders
11-01-2009, 01:03 PM
ok i will give that a go. Thanks for your advise

scotty33
11-01-2009, 01:21 PM
if you can hear them then the wiring must be ok. it sounds like your stereo may have met its maker. i would try swapping the wiring round and try the rear speakers with the outputs for the front, and front speakers to the rears. if the rears now work and the fronts dont, then its the amp in the stereo. alternatively have you got another stereo you can borrow to try?

I think there is another amp in the system somewhere, try running a temporary speaker wire directly from the head unit to the speakers, see if they work then?

Alan02
12-01-2009, 11:50 AM
you dont have the `headphone` socket on the rear parcel shelf set to `phones`? thats if your model has this feature.As this will switch off the sound to the rear speakers.

Aders
12-01-2009, 09:23 PM
No I don't think my car would have anything that flashy (its a 1992 k reg!!) Unless is has and I've never noticed. I will check. Thanks

collo16v
12-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I have some rear speakers from from 93 80 £12 posted

Aders
12-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I have recently sold the car but many thanks for the offer.

Aders