PDA

View Full Version : 04 reg a4 cab boot lock problem help please

roy2001
10-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I have an 04 reg a4 cabriolet and the electric boot release has stopped working , i have checked all the fuses cant find any blown, taken the boot lid trim off checked all the wires are connected to handle release , central locking motor and also the actual boot catch and cant find anything obvious , the only way i can get the boot to shut with the catch is by taking the rod out that goes from the boot catch to the central locking motor and then using the key manually in the lock to lock and unlock which is a bit of a pain, anyone had any similar problems like this are there any more fuses besides the ones on end of drivers side dashboard i can check. all help would be much appreciated thanks roy

Newt1
10-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Had the same thing on a Mondeo ages ago, turned out to be the boot solenoid, a common problem. If you try to operate the handle and dont hear that 'vroooooop' sound then its probably buggered.

bez101
11-01-2009, 06:15 PM
check you have power going to the lock if you dont check the wires in the rubber

Jay A4 cab
03-02-2009, 06:38 PM
I have a similar problem, both the boot lock and fuel filler cap wont unlock from the key fob even though the doors still do. Currently using the key for the boot and had to use the emergency pull cord on the fuel filler. Any advice anyone?

It's on a 03 A4 2.5TDI Sport Cab

Jay

skyclad
06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Just had the same thing. Disconnected the rod and the lock works fine. There is no movement at all in the rod when disconnected so I suspect the solenoid has siezed. When I get round to stripping out the panel completly I will post my results.

Keep Rokin

scott007118
07-02-2009, 05:49 PM
hi,

I had this problem a couple of months ago. It was the solenoid in the boot lock. I couldnt lock even with the key, so boot jumped up over every little bump.Took it to a couple of local garages and they couldn't help so had to take to the audi dealership to get it fixed seem to remember it not being to expensive between 50-60pounds i think.

Ferretktf
18-02-2009, 12:00 PM
same problem here - boot won;t lock as catch won't close .... periodic but getting more and more regular -- suspect solenoid has gone.

Is this a simple DIY job if I order the part?

Have not removed trim yet (other than immediately around the lock catch) so how simple is it to disconnect the "rod" and lock/unlock by key temporarily?

I can follow instructions pretty well (e.g. changing front lights) , but don't want to risk breaking anything if I tamper with the boot lock ... Is there a risk that it could get stuck in "locked" mode?

Found these instructions on an archived thread ... but this is for the Avant estate ... can someone provide details for A4 Cab?l

To secure your boot for now you will have to disconnect the actuator from the boot lock and use the key in the lock.

To get to the actuator:

First thing to do is to disconnect the tailgate light. Next remove the tailgate trim panel by unscrewing the two visible screws and the two in the emergency triangle compartment.
Next pop the panel clips holding the trim panel to the tailgate.
Push/slide the whole trim upwards towards the tailgate hinges to remove the panel.
The actuator is on the left (white box about 3" x 2").
Carefully disconnect the control rod linking the actuator unit to the boot catch (small white clip).
Unscrew the unit from the tailgate and slide out. In your hand now you should have the actuator unit attached to a backing plate by torque screws and the control rod. Unscrew the backing plate and slide off the control rod from the actuator piston.

Also found a post stating All you should need to do to use the manual (key) lock is disconnect the metal rod from the actuator unit to the boot latch. Leave everything else in place

Buy does this need to be disconnected at the actuator end or the boot latch end?

skyclad
18-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi. Managed to sort out the boot lock. Bought new actuator/solenoid from Audi dealer cost £30. Taking off the boot lid cover not easy until you realise that the closing handle is held in place by one small screw!!. Pull off the cover to the catch mechanism and undo the allen screws behind the warning triangle. The cover then just unclips all round. Remove the cover from the rod mechanism then just unscrew the actuator and unplug it. Fitting the new one make sure you get the rod the right way round.

The only problem I had after fitting was that the immoboliser threw a total wobbler. Key fob wouldn't work at all and worse the car wouldn't start (the engine turned over??). Disconnected battery, no different, left it overnight and it was fine, everything working as it should... Mystery....

Oh if you do want to disconnect the rod, do it from the catch end. Dead easy just slip back the nylon catch and pull the rod out.

Hope this helps.
:beerchug:

Ferretktf
18-02-2009, 05:37 PM
thanks - could be a little while before I can get hold of the part so think I will do the disconnect first -- so that I can lock the boot!

Will aim to do this first light tomorrow!

N4THK
18-02-2009, 10:43 PM
the boot on my o3 a4 cab wont catch and shut. you can just open and close it as if there is no lock on it. i tried to lock it shut with the key but nothing. the locking mechanism on the boot lid seems to be broke? i have read posts above and get a varied view of what to do.or not. but how do i get it shut at the mo, bar doing what the wife did and use celotape so she could drive home from tescos.

Ferretktf
18-02-2009, 10:58 PM
ok - here is what i did tonight - just caught enough light.

following skyclads instructions I pulled off the rubberised cap over the latch and removed the single screw by the internal handle on the boot lid

I was then able to peel back sufficent of the boot trim to see the brass rod at the base of the latch mechanism - held in place by a white plastic clip (essentially I peeled the boot trrim away from the two rubber stoppers at each side which was sufficent -- the rubber stoppers once "pushed through" the t rim actually acted as lever to hold the trim back while i worked on the rod

I levered the rod out of the clip which effectively disconnected it. (it looks like you have to take pliers to the white plastic catch - you don't -- just unhook from the bottom and it will drop through the top --- this will make sense when you look at it)

this now means the lock is totally manual and totally operated by the key.

I will now source a replacement solenoid and whne I have got that I will fully remove the boot trim (the two allen bolts under thw warning triangle) to replace it (I may ask for more help at that time)

But at the moment I have a boot that will lock/unlock via the key

hope this helps

upinarms
03-02-2016, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the instructions - very helpful. Just had the same issue with by 03 A4 Cabriolet, and was able to disconnect the rod and it now catches when I close the boot and can be opened with the key.