PDA

View Full Version : Hill hold

k6rff
10-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Has anyone managed to retrofit the hill hold. I am irritated by engaging 1st on a hill, moving forward a little which disengages the brake only to find that I am rolling back if the traffic does not move off immediately. Whilst I love my B8, there was a lot to be said of the conventional brake lever - and of a normal key.

All in all, the new car is good and loaded with toys - but not as balanced and taut as my 2002 B6. You don't get that fully confident feel in the handling. Also the wheels rail quite easily and its quite easy to spin the front wheels in a way not normally experienced on the B6 1.8T sport

AndyH123
12-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Noo :) I've still got a temp B7 and I can't wait to get my handbrake button and push start key back!

I believe, as I've asked myself, the answer is no to retrofit.

Would be pleased to hear if anyone knows different though.

mcinverness
16-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Retrofit _should_ be possible. Several of our guys in company VW passats have had it as a retrofit as a replacement for a faulty (normal) parking brake switch.

Has anyone managed to retrofit the hill hold. I am irritated by engaging 1st on a hill, moving forward a little which disengages the brake only to find that I am rolling back if the traffic does not move off immediately. Whilst I love my B8, there was a lot to be said of the conventional brake lever - and of a normal key.

All in all, the new car is good and loaded with toys - but not as balanced and taut as my 2002 B6. You don't get that fully confident feel in the handling. Also the wheels rail quite easily and its quite easy to spin the front wheels in a way not normally experienced on the B6 1.8T sport

mkc
16-01-2009, 10:41 AM
So does that mean the wires for it are already present under the blanking switch on the centre console?

Airgun
26-01-2009, 11:19 PM
So does that mean the wires for it are already present under the blanking switch on the centre console?

I think the wires are there, the connector for the handbrake switch has approx. 8 wires.

I tried to order a switch with th hill hold function from Bradford Audi, the chap behind the counter couldn't work out which part to order.

If someone can let me have the correct part number or a VIN / Reg number for a B8 that was factory fitted with Hill Hold Assist I will get the switch and report back (I have VAG Com).

sabingli
27-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Here is a pic with the code from etka of parking button and hill hold. PR-UH2 is the code for hill hold. You can google it to find out more.

Foringo
28-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I wonder why Audi didn't fit hill hold assist like the system on my C4 Picasso? This has a manually applied electronic parking brake but also a feature that holds the brakes on for 2 secs after you release the foot pedal to give time for the auto-clutch on the automated gearbox to engage without the car rolling backwards (I think some cars with standard clutches also have this feature). Probably of little use on my A4 2.7 mulitronic but if I had a manual with a conventional clutch and electronic handbrake I'd really miss this and maybe it could even have been built in for little or no extra cost.

nm2003
29-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Can someone tell me what to expect from the Hill Hold functionality, and whether the following could be possible?

The reason I ask is that, after taking the car in to fix a throttle problem, I received both an engine and a multitronic software upgrade.

I have now noticed that on hills, the car appears to no longer roll back (like it used to), and upon accelerating, I hear a click, as if the electronic brake is disengaged, without having engaged it manually.

Could it be that this combined software upgrade has somehow enabled the hill hold function on my car?

HighwayTG
29-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Can someone tell me what to expect from the Hill Hold functionality, and whether the following could be possible?

The reason I ask is that, after taking the car in to fix a throttle problem, I received both an engine and a multitronic software upgrade.

I have now noticed that on hills, the car appears to no longer roll back (like it used to), and upon accelerating, I hear a click, as if the electronic brake is disengaged, without having engaged it manually.

Could it be that this combined software upgrade has somehow enabled the hill hold function on my car?

Now that sounds interesting ... you seem to have Hill Start, and without having to engage it each time you switch the engine on.

In my view Hill Start should be permanently on or at the very least configurable to stay on.

Jop
29-01-2009, 01:28 PM
hill hold automaticly applies the handbrake when you come to a stop (assuming you have it engaged)
-This is all hill hold does (or hold assist, whatever its called)

the electromagnetic handbrake will automatically disengage as you bite providing you are wearing a seat belt.
This is a standard feature of the handbrake and not solely for hill hold equiped cars.

2.7 S-line
29-01-2009, 01:45 PM
the multitronic shouldn't roll back on a hill - i have the hill hold on my car but never use it - mainly because the multi box holds it rock steady even without your foot on the gas

i think you multitronic was just malfunctioning before but now is working like it should

you'd tell if hill hold was active as a green light would appear on the dash in the speedo (or rev counter - cant rememeber which) also the hand break would set itself on when you stood still for more than a few secs or turned off the ignition (ie the red light on the handbreak switch would come on )

Foringo
29-01-2009, 08:38 PM
the multitronic shouldn't roll back on a hill - i have the hill hold on my car but never use it - mainly because the multi box holds it rock steady even without your foot on the gas

i think you multitronic was just malfunctioning before but now is working like it should

you'd tell if hill hold was active as a green light would appear on the dash in the speedo (or rev counter - cant rememeber which) also the hand break would set itself on when you stood still for more than a few secs or turned off the ignition (ie the red light on the handbreak switch would come on )

Out of interest did you pay extra for the hill assist? I did, but looking at my owner's manual it states that it's a standard feature with the (2.7) multitronic...should I be asking for my money back?

2.7 S-line
29-01-2009, 09:28 PM
it was a cost option
the multitronic stops roll back but doesn't apply the handbrake on parking - to be honest it was a waste of £ for me as i hardly ever use it

nm2003
30-01-2009, 10:23 PM

I think you are right. My multitronic must not have been working properly, as it would previously roll back on hills.

I would recommend that if anyone's multitronic rolls back on hills, take it in to get checked and the software upgraded.

drmartin
06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
hill hold automaticly applies the handbrake when you come to a stop (assuming you have it engaged)
-This is all hill hold does (or hold assist, whatever its called)

the electromagnetic handbrake will automatically disengage as you bite providing you are wearing a seat belt.
This is a standard feature of the handbrake and not solely for hill hold equiped cars.

Hill hold should be standard in my opinion, it is in VW Passat and I would not be without it.

Really like having the car held still when ever you stop (nice little green light telling you so in the dash telling you its engaged)

Also when you park take off your seat belt it applies the brakes, nice touch.

M