PDA

View Full Version : Eos Individual -Unusual Wear on Rear Tyres

Elsie
10-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Has anyone had any problems with unusual tyre wear on back wheels? - Both back tyres have worn badly on inner 25% of tyres after 11500 miles.
Wheel Alignment has been checked - slightly out on one wheel but still under specifications.
Is this an Eos problem?

aardvark
23-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi Elsie,

Mine has done the same.
My dealer is trying to tell me it is just how the car is designed but 0other Eos users don't seem to have the same problem!

Elsie
23-02-2009, 07:13 PM
My dealer insists nothing wrong with car - could have been tyres but insist I wasn't sold new car with faulty tyres!
I have bought 4 new tyres - after 11500 miles - fronts wore out evenlly backs only inner 25% on both tyres.
Have not had this problem with any other VW car- Passats or Bora
Let me know how you get on

gingernut352000
24-02-2009, 07:02 PM
not an eos issue but similar problem on the B6 passat see the passat section. dealer told me as long as you get 15k out of tyres then all OK. if in warranty try to push dealer for 4 wheel allingment.

Adrian

aardvark
27-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Just had the 4 wheel alignment done on mine FOC but apparently nothing wrong.
My tyres lasted 15000 miles but the inner two inches were bald as a coot and the rest still had 5.5mm of tread. It looked like the car had only been running on 20% of the tyre.
I don't think this can be safe!

Teflon
28-02-2009, 04:09 PM
As gingernut says, there are quite a few threads about rear wheel wear problems on B6 Passats, including so-called "saw tooth" patterns on the inside. Considereing that the EOS is the same floor pan as the Tiguan (IIRC), but then knocked up with bits of Passat and Golf, I've an inkling that the rear suspension bits are Passat. I can't be bothered to go and look under the wife's Eos to confirm.

Apparently, the standard dealer fob-off is a four-wheel alignment check, in the hope that by the next time you need new rears the car will be out of warranty so the problem has gone away.

You really ought to have a look around the Passat B6 thread and get some ideas about how to badger your dealer.

peanutthedog
17-03-2009, 07:36 PM
This looks like a pattern. I just put the 3rd set of tyres on the rear of my EOS in 23,500 miles. The inner 25% were as bald as a coot but the rest of the tyre would go another 10,000 miles. Conti Sport 2 as fitted from OEM.

VW dealer says he wants £153 to do alignment (1.5 hours in the workshop) but cant say beyond the usual pot holes/kerbs that it could be caused by anything.

I went to a VW group (non-VW) dealer who told me that this is not uncommon and he had heard of this problem on the rear tyres. He suggested speaking to VW customer care.

I have been driving on the same roads doing the same journey for years and never had this pattern of wear on rear tyres. I cannot believe it is related to driving and must be associated with the car being incorrectly set up in the first place.

I will speak to VW directly tomorrow, but if we all did, maybe they might take notice.

aardvark
27-03-2009, 07:30 PM
My dealer contacted VW customer care on my behalf and got the same fob off that'The car is designed this way to give you the ride and handling you would expect'
I intend to write to VW with pictures of the tyres and see if they think this is normal wear or not.
If I don't get a satisfactory response I guess the next step is trading standards to see if the car is fit for purpose and then maybe a motoring organisation like the RAC. If all else fails I shall try Watchdog.
I don't see why VW should get away with this and I still don't believe that a major car manufacturer deliberately designs a car this way - If they have, why don't all EOS' do it??:mad:

anchiba
22-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Has anyone had any problems with unusual tyre wear on back wheels? - Both back tyres have worn badly on inner 25% of tyres after 11500 miles.
Wheel Alignment has been checked - slightly out on one wheel but still under specifications.
Is this an Eos problem?

Same problem on my Eos V6 Individual. On top of this, front tyres are totally worn out, after only 12'000 km.
Anyone else having tyre problems with Eos ?

Anchiba

cp101
17-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi
Just purchased 06 EOS and after driving it more I have noticed that there was a noise coming from the rear axel. On investigation it was the TYRES ?! they had transformed into more of an Octagonal shape than round on the inside. I took it to a tyre dealer and he had seen this problem before on VW's and also Vauxhall/Opels. It's not a certain make of tyre it happens to a few. I took it to the VW dealer and with the usual shrug of the VW shoulder I was told that there was nothing they could do, just buy new tyres :mad:
Any body else had this problem. I still have 2 months warrenty left would it be worth me logging a complaint with VW ???

John Poole
21-11-2009, 12:22 PM
My Eos has just done 9000 miles and the front tyres are worn down to the limit also the rear tyres on the inside have a lot of wear, although under warranty white Rose garage near Skipton refuse to admit anything is wrong and they also says the rear wheels are adjustable and due to normal use they will still need re aligning and i have to pay the costs. Any comments please John :zx11:

Chrisdut
22-11-2009, 12:03 AM
unfortunatly tyre wear issues are only covered for 6 months or 6250 miles :(

wife'seso
23-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I have just had my wife's eso serviced and rear tyre wear was reported, like other owners about 25% of the tyre on the inside rear are bald. The dealer said it could be carrying too much weight or low tyre pressure neither very likely. If VW are not interested I think the things you suggest are the only way to go.

wife'seso
28-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Further to my rear tyre wear post, I have contacted my dealer again asking whether tyre wear on the eos is a problem, surprise! surprise! he says he is not aware of it. Looking at all the post on eos and passats it is a long running fault. He offered to do a four wheel tracking at £85 I have yet to decide whether to have this done. I might get an independent laser track but this could affect the warranty.

percymon
30-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Not under inflation as that would affect both shoulder areas (insdie and outside). Certainly an alignment issue, but if you live in areas with speed bumps, especially the sqaure pad ones with the sloping sides then you only have yourself and the council to blame. Straddling these humps pushes the wheels out destroying bushes and alignment settings.

SueFC
19-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Yep, I had this one too. More alarmingly, the dealer didn't even notice (during a service) that the insides of the tyres were completely bald, and it was only when one of them popped a week later and I took it into a local tyre place that they pointed it out to me. The VW service record showed the tyre treads as totally acceptable as, presumably, they take the measurement from the outer edge of the tyre.

Annoyingly I didn't pick up on any of this till stumbling across this thread and just paid for two replacement tyres.

All in all, totally dissatisfied with my EOS. 16 warranty visits over the last three years, and several issues still unresolved. Sigh.

Simon68
20-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Same issue here.... 2008 Model with rear tyres that are absolutely unworn on outer edges and middle but bald as a coot on the inner 2-3 inches.
Same bull from dealers...... they must make a fortune from fitting tyres and even more from doing wheel alignment. They checked mine FOC and said there was no issue and that I must have used the wrong tyre pressures.
Took them to a local garage and paid £30..... for the same wheel tracking/alignment and they told me that the rears could be slightly adjusted. I'm seeing how the new tyres are going..... and checking the tyre pressures weekly.

Updated 6/1/13 - Just to say that the tyre wear has been greatly sorted by the adjustment that the local garage made. Only a slight wear on the inner edge of the rears compared to them looking like slicks before!

chrisemmerson
09-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I've has exactly the same issue on my EOS, front and rear. I've even had teh 4 wheel alignment and been told it was almost perfectly set up.

Since then I've had exactly the same tyre wear on a 4 tyres i.e the inner inch or so wears a great deal more than any of the rest of the tyre.

I've had to replace tyres when the wear indicators have been nowhere near but the inner edges are down to the inner material on the tyre.

Dealer not interested when it was in warranty (gave me some BS about scalloping of tyres), but out of warranty now anyway.

I believe it is a regular issue with not onlty the EOS set up but also other related VW models.