PDA

View Full Version : Car choice opinions

SBL
09-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Hello all, hoping to get some opinions on car choice here.
I need to order a new company car and have settled on the new A4 (obvious given where I'm posting really ;))
I love the looks of the S line but it's stretching things a little for me so have settled on the SE trim but found the 143TDi a little on the weak side.
Choice is between the 170TDi or the 2.0TFSI. I've been driving diesels for some years now so naturally drawn to them but the performance on the TFSI looks amazing. I'm a swift driver but not a boy racer type so don't want to have the neddle bouncing off the limiter to make decent headway. As you people are all well versed in the Audi cars I'd really like to know,,,,,,,What would you buy in this situation??

onemanparty
09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Both good engines. Question is what mileage do you do more than 20K per annum then diesel is your best bet, But the 2.0TFSI would not be far behind due to the cost difference between Petrol & Diesel at present.

For me if you can have the 2.0TFSI I would have that. I'm sure others will agree or disagree with me.

kodkod.84
09-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Petrol if you are not doing crazy motorway miles for sure.

Had mine for 6 months now and loving it- drove the Mrs Golf 2.0TDI the other day and it felt quite unsettling and uncomfy as the power comes at ya in big lumps rather than smoothly like in the petrol.

Saying that, the common rail in the B8 might be different but haven't driven diesel B8 yet, had a loan 1.8T and that was sweet though.

SBL
09-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Mileage should be around 27K a year but that isn't really an issue on costs for me. I can only use the Audi stated comined mpg but there is only around £25 a month difference and that's in the total purchase and running costs combined.

Is the TFSI known to get good mpg results? 43mpg seems high to me, is it realistic?

SBL
09-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Hello KodKod, I see you're running a 2.0T. What mpg are you averaging in it?

kodkod.84
09-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi

I have the B7 2.0TFSI , I'm not sure if Audi revised the engine for the B8 but I get on average 33MPG that is around 480-500 miles on a 70 litre tank.

My daily commute is an 18 mile blast down an A Road, no stopping.

Dunkx
09-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Good choice! I'm eagerly waiting delivery of a 143ps TDI SE at the end of the month and find that this engine is perfect for everyday use, it's smooth, torquey and refined compared to my slightly more powerful SAAB 93 TiD and light years from my previous Golf gti 150bhp tdi. I must have a diesel and I'm covering 30k per year, however I might have gone for the 170ps if I had chosen the S line as it's a bit more planted on the road, trust me you can have just as much fun with this engine as the 170ps, it's just how you use it, it's not all about drag racing you know! I speak as a ex competitor and part time Rally Instructor who's getting on in years and likes a bit of comfort....

onemanparty
10-01-2009, 02:35 PM
The B8 2.0TFSI is a revised version of the B7 2.0T better on CO2 and MPG I believe I'm sure there are 2.0T B8 drivers who would be happy to let you know

Ramon959
11-01-2009, 07:26 PM
I can only get 60 litres into my 65litre tank and I have a similar 18 mile commute to work that is half B road and half A road. I can muster 33-34 from the daily drive and closer to 40 if I nanny it on the motorway. Drive fast and it easily drops to the low 20's - does seems to be getting better with age though - now up to 5k miles.

The TFSi is a gem (when it works!) fairly torquey - same peak as the 170 diesel. Very easy to drive but my biggest gripe it the wheel hop under acceleration, not helped by the 18' wheels with sticky tyres.

I have only driven the 143 version and is was slow, but I found it very smooth.

I think mpg and range aside, the TFSi wins as it is the best of both worlds for me anyway.

SBL
11-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the opinions chaps though there is another option that until now I haven't really considered.
The 1.8T S line is also within budget but I'm worried at the starting MPG that is quoted and some of the figures being quoted as achieved by people on this site that own this car. That said, it's a great looker.

kodkod.84
11-01-2009, 09:21 PM
I was impressed with the B8 1.8T S-Line, think it was the 160ps version I drove.

Ramon959
11-01-2009, 11:18 PM
I haven't got the quattro, but I think this is also worth putting into the mix but I understand budgets have a annoying habit of getting in the way..

A tune on the 160ps version would certainly give you the performance of the 2.0T but not the upfront cost.

mkc
12-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Ive got the 1.8T petrol and I get around the low 30s, both from new and now 3.5K after 5 months. I did get low 40s on a long empty motorway drive, in 6th doing 70-75 but normally around town its mid to high 20s and then low 30s on a mix of town and stop go motorway.

But petrol has dropped in price so much I fill up on the Optimax and Tesco 99 RON and it seems to go a bit further. Car feels smoother too.

martin@wolfy
12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
I can only get 60 litres into my 65litre tank and I have a similar 18 mile commute to work that is half B road and half A road. I can muster 33-34 from the daily drive and closer to 40 if I nanny it on the motorway. Drive fast and it easily drops to the low 20's - does seems to be getting better with age though - now up to 5k miles.

The TFSi is a gem (when it works!) fairly torquey - same peak as the 170 diesel. Very easy to drive but my biggest gripe it the wheel hop under acceleration, not helped by the 18' wheels with sticky tyres.

I have only driven the 143 version and is was slow, but I found it very smooth.

I think mpg and range aside, the TFSi wins as it is the best of both worlds for me anyway.

Can you advise what you mean by 'wheel hop'? I ask because occasionly i get a kind of slight shuddering on acceleration.

Thanks wolfy!!

Ramon959
12-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Wheel hop is sort of an american term, I used to call it axle tramp but that does not really apply to front wheel drives.

What I mean is under acceleration, as the wheels try to dig into the ground, they grip and essentially compress the suspension, the car wil only go down so far, so the net effect is that the wheel leaves the ground - as soon as it does that it is no longer being compressed so drops back to the ground and the process starts over - very annoying.

Here is the Web definition too:

Definition: An undesirable suspension characteristic in which a wheel (or several) moves up and down so violently that it actually leaves the ground. Wheel hop can be caused by many problems, including excessive unsprung weight, insufficient shock damping, or poor torsional axle control.

In my case, the heavier 18's/grippier tires with soft SE suspension are the main factors.

interbear
13-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I picked up my 170 TDi S-line Avant last week and, despite being in "taking it easy" mode have to admit being impressed with the engine. Very smooth power delivery and very quiet. For the mileage you are doing I'd suggest you go with the diesel.

blackcurrent
15-01-2009, 10:50 AM
like MKC I have got the 1.8T 160bhp S-Line. Pictures are on the board somewhere if you want to go find them :Blush:

Well anyway I get around 30mpg on average but I do a lot of town driving and driving in London so it is to be expected, also I have only hit 1.5K miles so far so this will probably improve in time. As regards the engine it's very smooth and can give you plenty of power when you need it.

Good luck it is a tough decision

SBL
16-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the opinions chaps.
I've let sense rule so I've went for the 2.0 TDI 170hp SE with the 18" 5 spokes. Almost identical purchase price to the S line 1.8T but I'm expecting a whole lot more mpg from it.
To be honest, I really fancied this engine anyway, a nice torquey diesel so should be very flexible to drive.
Hmmm, B&O or not :confused:

onemanparty
16-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the opinions chaps.
I've let sense rule so I've went for the 2.0 TDI 170hp SE with the 18" 5 spokes. Almost identical purchase price to the S line 1.8T but I'm expecting a whole lot more mpg from it.
To be honest, I really fancied this engine anyway, a nice torquey diesel so should be very flexible to drive.
Hmmm, B&O or not :confused:

Nice car - B&O is very good better than BOSE by a mile. I am going to miss B&O when I get my new car :(

I would say go for B&O if you like Music it a must.

Can I ask are you ordering any other options??????

SBL
16-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Nice car - B&O is very good better than BOSE by a mile. I am going to miss B&O when I get my new car :(

I would say go for B&O if you like Music it a must.

Can I ask are you ordering any other options??????

That's on seriously specced car you've got!

Only upgrade at the moment is the 18" wheels. I'm very limited in what I can get as I have a max list price of around £25650 and that is rigid.
Quite honestly, I find many of the options too epensive for me to justify paying for. The reason I'd consider the B&O is my understanding is it helps isolate from outside noise and when you spend your time doing 90 on an mway a help in reducing outside noise is a god send.