PDA

View Full Version : High milage scirocco

TomLaw
22-11-2005, 06:16 PM
I've recently bought a 1990 GT2, with full service history, from one genuine, middle aged lady owner. However it does have about 200k on the clock. Does anyone know when the engines are expected to give up? also when they do roughly how much for a new engine and fitment?

Brunty
22-11-2005, 09:56 PM
200k is quite high! But as long as it's been well serviced then all should be well. I'd be more concerned about other bits like fuel lines, suspension bushes, brake lines etc.

The engines are quite plentiful on ebay type places and breakers yards as they were fitted to several vw's of the period, you can also drop in other similar engines from the VAG group.

A good garage will be able to change an engine in 1-2 days as they are fairly straight forward, so find out your local garages hourly rate on such a job.

Brunty

TomLaw
23-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Is it fairly costly to get a replacement engine fitted. I could easily source the engine, it's just fitting it that's the problem. I've fitted a VW transporter with a 1640cc air cooled engine. But I recon it's a hell of a lot simpler than a scirocco.
If anyone's had an engine fitted, and they know how much it costs in labour then it would be helpful. Cheers.

Brunty
23-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Is it fairly costly to get a replacement engine fitted. I could easily source the engine, it's just fitting it that's the problem. I've fitted a VW transporter with a 1640cc air cooled engine. But I recon it's a hell of a lot simpler than a scirocco.
If anyone's had an engine fitted, and they know how much it costs in labour then it would be helpful. Cheers.

Well I changed one recently and can verify that it is not a difficult job, one that a diy'er can do for sure.

Assuming a garage charges say £25 per hour you will be looking at £200 - £400 for the swap, you'd want to ask if they'd dispose of the old engine for you though.

Brunty

skattrd
03-12-2005, 07:13 PM
I've seen a few engines go recently for the region of £100 for an 8v and a bit more for 16v, so not too bad, and say about £200 to have a garage fit it. However the way Sciroccos are in the market now you can pick one up a full car for not alot more than buying a replacement engine and having a garage fit it.

Unless the cars in absolute mint condition its probably not worth the hassle, but if you do fany it then I'd go for a 16v conversion to make it worth while ;)