PDA

View Full Version : 2000 MK4 Golf 1.4 16V Engine shakes when idling

mooloolaba44
28-02-2007, 02:02 PM
My engine/car shakes when the car is idling, it happens when the car is warm or cold, and in-gear or out of gear. it has 42,000 miles on the clock.
when the car shakes its almost if the engine wants to cut out.
its only started to happen recently since changing the timing belt (maybe a coincidence). a few days later the engine management light came on, this was diagnosed as "running rich" the error code was P1165. all hoses & cables were checked to see if any had came off, and the engine has been serviced & checked for blockages since.
The engine management light came back on 3 days later, the oxygen sensor has now been replaced, then 2 days later the engine management light has come back on.

Any ideas? :1zhelp:

Am i damaging the engine by continuing to run the car?

loupee
28-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Mine used to do the same, it bugged the hell out of me. It went into the dealers at least once a month for it sorting. Mine started after i had a new clutch put in and continued to shake for 6 months. I thought it was the dual mass flywheel (£800 at vw) It was only by pure chance when VW altered the cam belt change to 4 year old that it went in had cam belt change and it never did it again.

Bulldog42
27-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi
My 1.4 16v is doing the same because one of my pistons is misfiring due to piston ring damage. This causes the engine to shake because it is unbalanced. You can have a compression test to check or put on a diagnostic machine.