PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Motorised MMI Screen Fault

august
08-01-2009, 08:51 PM
hello can anyone help me,
I've got an Audi 2OO6 (Build Year) A8 4E2O4L ASB HKL GMZ just out of warranty
The problem is the screen it appears to be sticking and wont fully close, there is nothing stuck inside the unit, it works fine and deploys fully, it was all working fine then one day opened car door to get out and the unit stuck in the half closed position. when ignition is on the unit opens up to full correct possition. how can i get the unit to fully close it closes about two thirds. many thanks august:beerchug:

kite
08-01-2009, 09:35 PM
3yrs warranty....take it back to the dealer

august
08-01-2009, 10:30 PM
thankyou mate but the car was registered in 2005 making it a 55 plate just out of warranty.

a8 tech
08-01-2009, 10:33 PM
You Need The Mechanism They Take About 2 Hours To Fit The Display Screen Seperates So Its Just The Cage And Motor

august
10-01-2009, 12:26 AM
cheers A 8 Tech priced 1 up £180+vat plus fitting.
let you know findings....cheers

Bacon
13-03-2009, 12:59 AM
August

How did it go? I have an A8 2005.

My screen clicks a lot on opening for about 3 seconds. (loose or broken cog?) Works fine and closes fine. I just get a lot of juddering on opening.

Bacon

august
16-03-2009, 09:16 PM
hi Bacon..
my battery was poor and when i tried to start the engine again while screen was working, it whent into a bit of a flap clicked and cracked a bit.. then all was ok. works ok now opens and closes just fine.. cheers August..

scott007118
24-04-2009, 08:57 PM
August

How did it go? I have an A8 2005.

My screen clicks a lot on opening for about 3 seconds. (loose or broken cog?) Works fine and closes fine. I just get a lot of juddering on opening.

Bacon

hi bacon,

Did you get this fixed as my step dad's having the same problem on his 2006 A8.
thanks,
scott

Bacon
30-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Scott

No I managed to take the thing apart and I need a new cage. £140ish, I just need to get one arranged. Word of warning though before you start taking things apart, I was working on it for nearly nine hours!

A manual would be useful, but Audi aould only supply me with a blown up picture.

Bacon

scott007118
30-04-2009, 05:25 PM
hi Bacon,

He's took it back to Audi today and with it being and 06 plate they are fixing it under warranty so happy days!

Thanks,
Scott

Micha_elD
14-09-2009, 11:28 PM
I just paid £225 at my dealer for a new motor and unit!

Struggling to find how to get the wires out of the back of the dashboard, the manual suggests I need to remove the driver side trim, did that but couldn't see anything, so wondering if its a LHD/RHD problem and i need to take the glove box off?

a8 tech
15-09-2009, 07:10 PM
And the rest,take the dash insert out then all the dash facia and lower osf panel.The loom is a pain to get out

Micha_elD
16-09-2009, 06:05 PM
I've removed the all vents, the trim above the glove box, the dash panel insert trim, the trim for the info display unit, taken out the screen and the motor unit, opened up the 'drivers storage compartment', but couldn't see the end of the screen motor plug, so put it back on.

I'll take it off again and have another look.

Thanks

Micha_elD
17-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Removed the drivers storage compartment again, and found the wire, it looped back on itself so wasn't where I was looking.

Everything is back together and working now, just very pleased I wasn't paying £100 per hour for labour. Although ... if I was paying someone £100 per hour, they would have known what they were doing and the job would have taken about one tenth as long :o

Steve-T
17-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Mmmm, I have a 2005 A8 that I am looking to buy with an intermittent sticking/clicking fault....Firstly, the screen wouldn't completely open, only about half way. Now it does open and close, but judders a bit and clicks.

The screen doesn't feel loose when it's open and it works fine......I'm thinking the cradle may be on its way out, any ideas greatly appreciated.

If anyone has a diagram of the cradle/motor fitment that would be very helpful.

Cheers,

Steve

Micha_elD
17-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't have any pictures, but the mechanism that lifts the screen is a complete unit, containing the electic motor, some gears, and a microswitch to signal when the screen reaches the top, another when it reaches the bottom. Nothing in there is replaceable, except maybe the microswitches, but when a microswitch fails, the motor keep trying to move the screen until it breaks some of the teeth of the gears, then you get the clicking and non-movement, and the whole thing is wrecked. That seems to be what happened to mine.

If the unit is clicking then it sounds like a mechanical problem, probably some damage to the nylon teeth on the gears. The Audi answer will probably be to replace the unit.